Front brake light switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front brake light switch

I ordered a new master cylinder, as well as a hydraulic switch (10x1.00). However, it doesn't fit in the hole on the master cylinder.
    It has those two prongs on it, which isn't directly compatible with the stock brake light contact that went with the original MC. Since I'm forced to use the bolt that came with it, what should I do so my rear brake light works?
    1980 GS550E

OK, are we discussing the front or rear brake?

The title of the thread is "Front brake light switch". You then mention getting a new master cylinder (did not specify front or rear, so since the title is front, we are assuming front) and a hydraulic switch.

You then ask what you should do to make sure your rear brake works.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If this is an issue with the front brake of a 1980 GS550E I'd recommend ordering Suzuki part number 57460-09300. Otherwise you can purchase another hydraulic switch, but it takes a different pitch. I can't recall but I think it was 1.25. I believe the cleanest looking install is with the oe switch in the part number provided.

Comment

Wait a second, is it some Ebay aftermarket cylinder? Your best bet may just be finding a switch bolt in the right pitch. If I remember correctly most Japanese bikes use 1.25 pitch.
        Last edited by RedBaron; 02-06-2020, 01:31 AM.

Comment

1.25 pitch was for normal stuff, brakes were 1.0.

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            OK, are we discussing the front or rear brake?

The title of the thread is "Front brake light switch". You then mention getting a new master cylinder (did not specify front or rear, so since the title is front, we are assuming front) and a hydraulic switch.

You then ask what you should do to make sure your rear brake works.

"Rear brake light" is what I said, though come to think of it, that's something of a... I don't remember the word for it, but it's basically saying the same thing twice. Yes, the front brake master cylinder. The original one that came off was 1.00, not 1.25. I ordered a 1.00 hydraulic switch and it fit perfectly. Then I ordered a master cylinder, but the bolt hole is smaller than the hydraulic switch bolt.
            1980 GS550E

Comment

Originally posted by RedBaron View Post
              Wait a second, is it some Ebay aftermarket cylinder? Your best bet may just be finding a switch bolt in the right pitch. If I remember correctly most Japanese bikes use 1.25 pitch.
              Yes it is. And mine has a 1.00 pitch. The pitch is simply the angle of the worm, correct?
              1980 GS550E

Comment

brakelight activating banjo bolts can be had in either 10x1.00 or 10x1.25. here's a 1.25 from revzilla.
                Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Here's a comparison. The dark bolt came with the new front brake master cylinder. The light bolt is the hydraulic switch.20200206_065551.jpg
                  1980 GS550E

Comment

Originally posted by ZombiePotatoSalad View Post
                    ... Then I ordered a master cylinder, but the bolt hole is smaller than the hydraulic switch bolt.
                    Is the new master cylinder a Suzuki part or aftermarket? Even aftermarket parts <made for> Suzukis tend to keep stock bolt specs.

Originally posted by ZombiePotatoSalad View Post
                    Yes it is. And mine has a 1.00 pitch. The pitch is simply the angle of the worm, correct?
                    You have the right idea, but very specifically, the "pitch" is the distance from the top of one thread to the next. In this case, the stock pitch of 1.0 would mean that the tops of the threads are 1.0 mm apart. That is a finer pitch than the other bolt, which appears to be a 1.25. If you have calipers, measure the distance covered by four threads. It should read 4.0 or 5.0 mm. If we are totally wrong and it's a wider 1.5 pitch, that distance will be 6.0 mm.

American (SAE) hardware uses the number of threads per inch. Metric hardware measures from peak to peak on the threads.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                      brakelight activating banjo bolts can be had in either 10x1.00 or 10x1.25. here's a 1.25 from revzilla.
                      https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
                      I got those for my bike. Rear brake one works fine, front one didn't, replaced it back to stock unit. You need a lot of pressure on these to activate. The rear gets plenty because of the leg and foot, the front is lacking the same force as the rear. You have to really bear down on the front brake lever for it to work and that can be a problem.
                      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Doesn't your new mastercylinder have it's own switch? If not I suggest you track down a take off unit from something like a KLR 650, Ninja 250 etc. Something with a single brake. Make sure to get one with Mirror mount if you are using it. You can put two spade connectors on the microswitch that comes with more modern equipment. Either crimp those to the wires from you original GS master cylinder or make up a new wire with Spade terminals one end & bullets the other to work with the GS loom... it's not rocket science....
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Spade and bullet connectors don't fit together. And I know, I can just cut off that original end off the wire, and put connectors on it. I'd just like to refrain from butchering it further, if I can. But if I must, then I must.
                          1980 GS550E

Comment

You need Bullets on one end to go into the stock harness & spades to go to the new master cylinder microswitch... I'm talking about opposite ends of the same wire.
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                              You need Bullets on one end to go into the stock harness & spades to go to the new master cylinder microswitch... I'm talking about opposite ends of the same wire.
                              Remember, autism lol.
                              So the wire that has a plastic plate on the end (that connected to the original switch), I should remove that entirely and replace it with a new wire? Why not cut the end off the existing wire, put spade connectors on it, and hook it up to the hydraulic switch?
                              1980 GS550E

Comment

Working...
                              X