Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever disassemble a gas cap on a GS1100E?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever disassemble a gas cap on a GS1100E?

The cap currently on my tank has a hole drilled in it, possibly to alleviate vacuum since it's running a turbo. I think there's a better solution. I have a spare ignition, cap and seat lock with key. The spare cap is not drilled, so I'd like to use it. It has a couple of small dings though, and I'd like to take it apart, media blast it and paint or powder coat it.

I've got it apart but would like to remove the lock barrel. I'd appreciate any info - I"m not even sure if it's possible. Maybe there's a trick to it. I doubt many have done this but I thought I'd try. I want this bike to be perfect.
    Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
    '79 GS100E
    Other non Suzuki bikes

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
    The cap currently on my tank has a hole drilled in it, possibly to alleviate vacuum since it's running a turbo. I think there's a better solution. I have a spare ignition, cap and seat lock with key. The spare cap is not drilled, so I'd like to use it. It has a couple of small dings though, and I'd like to take it apart, media blast it and paint or powder coat it.

I've got it apart but would like to remove the lock barrel. I'd appreciate any info - I"m not even sure if it's possible. Maybe there's a trick to it. I doubt many have done this but I thought I'd try. I want this bike to be perfect.
    Pretty sure there's a gas cap tutorial in the fuel systems sub-forum, but the search is chronically bad.
    ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Is that a round or rounded rectangle type. I'm pretty sure I had mine disassembled once. Its the rounded rectangle type.
      1983 GS 550 LD
      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

It's round. I just figured it out, once I put the key in and turned it I could see the retainer and I used a small pick from a pedicure set to wiggle it out. Cool. Thanks for responding.

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
        Is that a round or rounded rectangle type. I'm pretty sure I had mine disassembled once. Its the rounded rectangle type.
        Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
        '79 GS100E
        Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

If you get to this point:

There's a spring loaded tab that I'm trying to pull back with that tiny screwdriver. The barrel pops out the top once you release the tab.

Last edited by hillsy; 03-20-2020, 12:41 AM.
          Current:
          Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
          VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
          And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
            If you get to this point:

There's a spring loaded tab that I'm trying to pull back with that tiny screwdriver. The barrel pops out the top once you release the tab.
            Yes I figured it out once I turned the key. I have a small metal pick that I got from Amazon with a toenail cutter set. Damn I've used it more on my bike stuff than my grungy toes! Thanks for the info and maybe will help others.

Hey do you know this guy? https://youtu.be/9QCgqQdmr0M

Lived in NSW and Victoria and this guy cracks me up.
            Last edited by oldGSfan; 03-20-2020, 01:05 AM.
            Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
            '79 GS100E
            Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Changed the lock Cylinder on my 82 gs1100e Last month. Get something that look like a hockey stick and insert where the key goes. All the way to the bottom there a spring loaded tab that needs to be push and the whole cylinder slides out. I don't remember which side it was but once I got came out quite easily.

Comment

We're all like that

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post

Hey do you know this guy? https://youtu.be/9QCgqQdmr0M

Lived in NSW and Victoria and this guy cracks me up.
                Current:
                Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
                VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Working...
                X