Tachometer Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tachometer Noise

I went for a ride a few weeks ago on my 83 850L and on my way home I came to a stop at a stop sign and heard a whining type noise, very similar to the whining sound those cheap plastic windup toys make. The tach was reading the correct RPM's so I tapped the gauge and the noise went a way. Rev'ed the engine and the tach worked correctly and there was no noise. Later going down the road I heard the noise again, tapped the gauge and it went away. I assume this is likely an issue with the tach, not the cable?

I recently took my speedo off because the needle was erratic and was sticking. I tried to dissemble it to lube the inside, but it didn't seem to be very dissemble-friendly. I lubed it the best I could and it seems to work better now. But, it never made a noise like my tach is now. Should I use a similar approach on my tach?
    - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
    - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Going through the same thing currently on this thread. My noise was not the tach cable, but the speedometer cable. My noise stopped when the speedo gable finally broke.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
      Going through the same thing currently on this thread. My noise was not the tach cable, but the speedometer cable. My noise stopped when the speedo gable finally broke.
      Interesting. Your cable was making that whining type noise? My speedo cable failed a few years ago but it never made a noise. Interesting.
      - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!

Comment

So, speedo cable removed. I figured I’d lube the tach cable with white lithium squirted up from the engine end without removing it at the tach end and go for a ride. Tach cable is now making an even louder whirrring noise than the speedo cable was. Got back home and removed the tach cable completely. Smelled like it was burning. Tabbed spindle coming out of the valve cover appears to be spinning fine. The oil seal and Oring there were replaced a year ago. I’ve taken the inner cable out of the outer and flushed it with brake cleaner, cleaned and lubed the cable and put it back together.

I have the tach off and plan to flush out the drive hole with brake cleaner later tonight. Maybe my previous work forced some gunk up in the tach. Wish I could learn to just leave stuff alone.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

I went back through my service records, and I didn't replace the speedo cable a few years ago. I replaced the tach cable, but I don't recall what brand it was. I'm sure it was a cheapy... So maybe I need to take the cable off and clean and lube it. That would be easier than messing with the gauge.

Comment

FWIW, OEM cables are WAAAYYYYYYYYY better quality than the aftermarket crap and come pre-lubed.

And they're usually close to the same price.

Where the cable attaches to the gauge, the coupling starts squealing when it gets dry. Remove the gauge and get some sort of lubricant into that coupling. There's a spinny bit in the middle with a square hole for the cable, so you'll need to get something onto the exterior of the spinny bit. Just take care that the lubricant can't drip into the gauge face and look nasty; don't hold it upside-down or flood it with spray.

I've had success with working in a few drops of gear oil or motor oil. There may be something better out there.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks for the tip, bwringer!

I think I replaced the tach cable before I joined the forum so I likely purchased an aftermarket cable. I'll have to dig further into my records to see if I can find a receipt.

I'll pull the gauge and see what I can do. I successfully lubed the speedo so I should be able to do the tach the same way.

Comment

Working...
              X