1982 GS1100GK - not accelerating smoothly when engine is hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
    ...10 mins is about all my bike can do if not charging during a ride then the bike loses power acts bad but then eventually dies.
    My Kaw 900 rode for hours without a functioning charging system back in the day. I used to charge it up fully every night, then ride it the next day with the headlight off.

When the engine performance started to deteriorate, I knew it was time to head home.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Did two more test rides and it appears that the hesitation issue is NOT related to the engine temperature and it comes and goes in a seemingly random way.

In some cases it starts when the engine is cold, disappears and comes back 15 minutes later.

I suspected fuel starvation and that the new vacuum petcock (from Georgefixs, item 4358) was defective and switched from RES to PRI while riding, but this did not help.

As soon as time permits I will balance the carburetors and check the entire ignition system.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Comment

Working...
      X