Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
    Let your foot tell you.
    From many years of riding one of these old beasts I can say with some certainty that the oil is ragged to pieces by the gearbox and at 2000 miles you feel the quality of shift change for the worse. Even the best oils I've had in it don't last more than 2500 miles.
    Some lesser quality oils don't even make the 2000 mark, commonly losing their shear strength at 1500 to 1700 miles.

My opinion is that if the shift quality deteriorates it's telling me the oil isn't up to snuff any more and while I certainly could run it for another 1000 miles or more, I'm damned sure I wouldn't be getting a long life from the crankshaft or gearbox.
    Gear changes are what I notice as well. Not so much before but definitely just after an oil change.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

me too. especially on the 6 speeds. The shaft drive 5 speed, I change gears like it's an old pickup truck I'm nursing down the path so it's not such a quirk...but I wonder lately if I won't try a 20w50 next time in the gsx400 rather than the 15w40 castrolMC oil.

ONE thing that does work is a tip I picked up here in one of these discussions, but I fear to recommend it unless you have a bike to experiment on...
      STP oil treatment for OLDER engines. It's some kind of thickener and maybe hurts the startup flow but it DOES soften and improve the gear shift a LOT beyond a 1000km.

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
        Doesn't the transmission have its own oil?
        Is it a Camaro? Or a Cadillac?

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
        STP oil treatment...maybe hurts the startup flow...
        What about the clutch?

I've never owned a six speed bike and I've never felt any difference in shifting as the oil aged. But I've changed oil and filter often, once at 600 miles when Suzi was already in the shop for something else.
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally Posted by Gorminrider

STP oil treatment...maybe hurts the startup flow...

What about the clutch?
          No, the clutch works as usual from my experience. The 6 speeds on my 2 GSX400s get awful clunky pretty quick at low speeds. I have to roll the bike and futz about if I want to get into 1st at a stop from Neutral. More so than other bikes i have. BUT I know that member John Park (who knows these pretty well) has had good luck with the same issue using a $pricey$ oil but I've the scottish gene on the stupid side of the graph.
          Last edited by Gorminrider; 04-23-2020, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
            Is it a Camaro? Or a Cadillac?
            Im not sure what you mean.

But Im fairly certain my bike has three oils. Engine, transmission and final drive. If you ignore the oil in the air filter and the oil for oiling pivots and things.
            GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
              I'm fairly certain my bike has three oils. Engine, transmission and final drive. If you ignore the oil in the air filter and the oil for oiling pivots and things.
              I've never owned a shaftie, but I'm aware of the final drive oil. I'm not aware of a separate oil for the five gears of the transmission.

A lot of members of the shaft cult on this site, not all of them from Canada.
              Can someone please clear this up?
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                I've never owned a shaftie, but I'm aware of the final drive oil. I'm not aware of a separate oil for the five gears of the transmission.

A lot of members of the shaft cult on this site, not all of them from Canada.
                Can someone please clear this up?
                The 850G gears share the engine oil but at the back of the case where the drive takes a left turn to the shaft there is a small separate compartment with gear oil. This is in addition to the final drive. It's drain and fill are roughly where the front sprocket would be on a chain bike. The compartment is vented from the top with a little black tube running across the top of the case and disappearing down under the starter motor.
                The 650G does not have this separate compartment in the crankcase. Everything is in the engine oil.
                97 R1100R
                Previous
                80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

A lot of members of the shaft cult on this site
                  yes, lots of "G"s but actually I prefer the chain drive. Maybe because my bikes are smaller and don't strain the chain much... The Suzuki shaft drives seem to have more problems than the GL500 Honda I had, what with a bad year of flaky ring gear on the hub, and the "Zooks Syndrome".

Comment

Working...
                  X