Ring Compressors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ring Compressors

Im interested to find out what ring compressors you folks are using...pros and cons of each. Theres a big selection on Ebay and am looking for suggestions on what kits are efficient and which ones to stay away from. Thanks.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Following...........
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

For the bike, I carry my ring compressors with me ALL THE TIME.

Sometimes they are in my pockets, but they are ALWAYS at the ends of my hands.

Yep, I just use my fingers to coax the rings into the tapers on the bottoms of the cylinders.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yep, fingers are the most sensitive and least likely to do damage. I've been known to increase the lead-in tapers on bored cylinders too.
        Some reconditioners don't give you enough taper after boring.

Very late engines - non GS - with Nikasil bores and the barrel in unit with the top case present their own version of this problem.
        Often the top edge of the bores is a sharp corner - no lead-in taper at all.
        I've been making up bolt-on plates with the taper included and have found this to be very satisfactory.

Comment

If you're working alone and using fingers it take a lot of patients to install the pistons/rings safely. A couple of tricks that I've had success with is to block up the cylinder and then nudge the pistons up into the bores by rotating the crank. A better way is to suspend the cylinder using a bungee cord which allows you to slowly and uncontrollably lower it. Check Salty Dan's thread for a photo of such a setup.

As for ring compressors, I've seen guys using simple band clamps and others band clamps after wrapping the pistons/rings in thin metal shim stock. And of course there are all kinds of commercial spring compressors as well. I'd go the commercial route if doing it for a living. Easy for me to say though since I haven't priced them lately. Can't imaging them costing too much though.

Last edited by Nessism; 05-24-2020, 07:29 AM.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I was a fingers type. Last time I cut 2" wide strips from a plastic food container and used jubilee clips to squeeze the rings.
            Maybe I got the plastic thickness just right. It went just far enough into the flare, the pistons practically walked in.
            Like Ed said, I rotated the crank to the pots.
            The only downside was that when the hose clamp came off the plastic wanted to spring out and take a swipe at the base gasket.
            97 R1100R
            Previous
            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I’ve installed hundreds of cylinders over pistons using my fingers and never had a problem. Then again I know how to use the factory tappet depressor without any problems, have installed hundreds of heli-coils without a problem, and I know how to use easy-outs and taps without breaking them. Some people have a good feel for working with their hands and some people don’t.

Comment

I got hands like bear paws and fingers like sausages. I been using smalll blade screwdrivers to sneak them into the bevel. Just think its time to make things easier on myself.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I used hose clamps on my last re-gasket job. Just made sure to sand the insides with some 400 grit to remove any burrs and oiled them up before installing them over the rings. Worked easy-peasy for me!
                  Ron
                  When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
                  1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
                  1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
                  1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
                  1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

After almost 40 yrs. doing this, Dar got it......... You need to have that feel,,,, that only experience can provide......Back to ring compressors I have used the band type with decent results..I usually tapered the bores more,,That helped a lot.......
                    sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

I just use my fingers.Band type are easier to remove.You will need at least 2 set.
                      Marc
                      AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
                      1978 GS1000C X2
                      1978 GS1000E X2
                      1979 GS1000S
                      1979 gs1000
                      1983 gs400e

Comment

Working...
                      X