Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally available at a decent price - FULL SYNTHETIC Rotella T6 15w40 (not 5w40)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally available at a decent price - FULL SYNTHETIC Rotella T6 15w40 (not 5w40)

FYI: About $22 at Wally World

JASO-MA/MA2 approved.

The blue jug T6 was only formulated in 5w40 for a long time - the 15w40 full syn is relatively new.
    Cogito ergo sum - "I think, therefore I am"
    René Descartes

Nice to know, but there's nothing wrong with the 5w-40.

In fact, I prefer the lighter oil, it will flow easier when cold, keeping things lubricated.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Nice to know, but there's nothing wrong with the 5w-40.

In fact, I prefer the lighter oil, it will flow easier when cold, keeping things lubricated.

+1. I would never use 15W40 if I had a 5W40 alternative. FWIW, I use the T6 5W40 in my duramax and most of my bikes. As I use up other oils I will end up using T6 5W40 in all of them.

Mark
      1982 GS1100E
      1998 ZX-6R
      2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
        +1. I would never use 15W40 if I had a 5W40 alternative. FWIW, I use the T6 5W40 in my duramax and most of my bikes. As I use up other oils I will end up using T6 5W40 in all of them.

Mark
        I'm a heavy equipment mechanic and work on diesel engines all the time - we sometimes run into oil consumption problems with 5w40 in older diesels. For older engines with greater tolerances (due to wear) and air-cooled applications in general, having a full-synthetic 15w base stock might be ideal.

Also, a 15w40 will have fewer viscosity improvers than a 5w40 - engines with shared engine/transmission cases shear oil like crazy, and a 15w40 with with fewer VI's will probably handle this significantly better.
        Cogito ergo sum - "I think, therefore I am"
        René Descartes

Comment

It seems most folks have a favorite oil. Just wondering if anyone knows of any oil to not use, even if it meets the API ratings and correct for application. Shouldn't all oil, even the cheap store brands, be OK as long as they meet the specs for the application?
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
            It seems most folks have a favorite oil. Just wondering if anyone knows of any oil to not use, even if it meets the API ratings and correct for application. Shouldn't all oil, even the cheap store brands, be OK as long as they meet the specs for the application?
            Some oils aren't all that, despite them meeting the specs. I don't mean bogus or re-labelled or recycled oils, but just the natural variation present within a band or group, which is exacerbated by the oil-shearing machine that is the gearbox. Those same oils would likely provide perfectly adequate service within a normal engine.
            ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by philosopheriam View Post
              I'm a heavy equipment mechanic and work on diesel engines all the time - we sometimes run into oil consumption problems with 5w40 in older diesels.
              That's fair, but I live in Alberta and deal with cold weather for 5+ months of the year. I will take the better low temp flow over oil consumption issues unless they become severe. FWIW, my truck has 340,000km on it and doesn't need any oil added in a change cycle of ~10,000 miles (so far...).

Mark
              1982 GS1100E
              1998 ZX-6R
              2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Working...
              X