Fork oil filling tips 83 650gl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork oil filling tips 83 650gl

While I'm waiting for my new springs & seals to come, I was curious if anyone had a way to fill forks while on bike. After searching the net for a bit It seem like the Schrader valve at the top is less common & I wasn't able to find any way to top off oil.

My initial thought which I think is wrong was to remove Schrader valve & put oil down the hole but I'm not confident enough that's the rite way to go.
    1983 GS650GL Not running when I bought it. runs great now
    Engine- Carb Cleaned, Valve Adj, Ignition Mod, balanced carbs, Polished/Painted engine, Exhaust wrapped
    Frame & Wheels painted, rebuild brakes/masters, Fixed Tach/Spedo, Sonic Springs in the Front, New handle bars w/bar end mirror/turn signals
    Still To-Do?
    Fuel sending unit, Fuel tank paint job?, LED headlight?, Seat falling apart, Solutions?, Changing look of the rear of bike, Seat, Brake/turn-signals

Originally posted by DrDankNuggs View Post
    While I'm waiting for my new springs & seals to come, I was curious if anyone had a way to fill forks while on bike. After searching the net for a bit It seem like the Schrader valve at the top is less common & I wasn't able to find any way to top off oil.

My initial thought which I think is wrong was to remove Schrader valve & put oil down the hole but I'm not confident enough that's the rite way to go.
    If you're fitting new seals and springs, you'll have the caps off anyway.
    ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Get yourself a service manual from BikeCliffs website. It’s all in there. Link in my signature. Pic to show where to put your wrench, not suggesting you use and adjustable. It’s just what I had handy. The whole cap spins off. But you’ll want the forks off the bike to do seals and clean everything up before doing the spring upgrade. Breakdown and reassembly is in the manual except for the details about how to remove the cap. Manual just reads “remove fork cap bolt”.

Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 09-13-2020, 09:28 PM.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

As already mentioned, to replace the the springs and seals, you WILL have the forks off the bike. While you have the forks off the bike, simply follow the method outlined in the manual, then slip the completed fork tube assembly into the triples.

I generally overfill the forks, then have a fixed-length spacer on my suction pump to pull out the excess, leaving both forks with exactly the same amount of oil.

What springs are you getting? What oil do you plan on using?

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve,
          I Ordered the heavier set of Sonic Springs & plan on using 10w I believe Maxima brand oil. I should have been more specific I was trying to see if it was possible to add oil without removing forks. I own a service manual and looked at their pro/cess which seems good enough hoping the Springs come with a couple points of what I should do differently if not I imagine there are plenty of threads here to help me.

Thoughts on Motionpro Fork filling tool? any other tools needed or suggested for this upgrade?
          Engine- Carb Cleaned, Valve Adj, Ignition Mod, balanced carbs, Polished/Painted engine, Exhaust wrapped
          Frame & Wheels painted, rebuild brakes/masters, Fixed Tach/Spedo, Sonic Springs in the Front, New handle bars w/bar end mirror/turn signals
          Still To-Do?
          Fuel sending unit, Fuel tank paint job?, LED headlight?, Seat falling apart, Solutions?, Changing look of the rear of bike, Seat, Brake/turn-signals

Comment

I was trying to see if it was possible to add oil without removing forks.
            Yes, unbolt the top clamps and loosen off the caps of the fork legs. That top clamp puts a fair old bit of compression onto the tube, so if you try to unscrew the cap while the clamp bolt is still tight you'll go blue in the face and possibly wreck the threads.
            ---- Dave

Comment

Steve,
              I Ordered the heavier set of Sonic Springs & plan on using 10w I believe Maxima brand oil. I should have been more specific I was trying to see if it was possible to add oil without removing forks. I own a service manual and looked at their pro/cess which seems good enough hoping the Springs come with a couple points of what I should do differently if not I imagine there are plenty of threads here to help me.

Thoughts on Motionpro Fork filling tool? any other tools needed or suggested for this upgrade?
              You need to remove the forks from the bike to do the job right. It's not hard, and actually takes no more time than the "shortcut" method.

Half-assed methods lead to half-assed results.
              '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
                Half-assed methods lead to half-assed results.
                I have always said that any shortcut(s) taken are merely opportunities to do it over and do it RIGHT.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  I have always said that any shortcut(s) taken are merely opportunities to do it over and do it RIGHT.

Yep, and I've had many of those learning opportunities over the years. I'd like to think that I'm smarter now, but not sure the evidence really supports that theory.
                  '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
                    Yep, and I've had many of those learning opportunities over the years. I'd like to think that I'm smarter now, but not sure the evidence really supports that theory.

I always learn from my mistakes -- I try really hard to not make the same mistake twice --I am smarter than I once was .

Comment

My Springs will be here Monday, so I'll just wait till then, I just wanted to top off temporarily till I properly took them apart for the spring swap. which at this point will likely be Monday/Tuesday. Ive seen a special fork seal install tool, at work I do about 3/4 pto/mag seals a week & I just a socket to install. Any one see any issue with me using just a large deep socket for the seal install?
                      Last edited by DrDankNuggs; 09-18-2020, 05:25 PM. Reason: spelling error
                      Still To-Do?

Comment

No problem with that - same as nearly any other ordinary seal.
                        ---- Dave

Comment

Easiest way to get the correct oil level is to remove the top off a "windex" style spray bottle & cut the straw to the length of your oil height. Rest the sprayer on top of the fork leg & pump to spray the extra oil into a rag.... much easier than trying to set it with a rule or caliper
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I Installed the springs and have given it week of riding. My god what a difference, at first I thought they were a little stiff but after the first ride I was proven wrong. I may have to adjust oil I put the 300ml the sonic springs manual suggested. What a difference the springs make, the stock springs were soft and mushy feeling.
                            Thanks again for all the tips and advice, as always TGSR forum comes through!
                            Still To-Do?

Comment

Working...
                            X