No announcement yet.

tarpaulin motorcycle cover - where ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You might consider material that's used for awnings on boats. It's fairly easy to sew and is long lasting in sunlight. More expensive though....Plastics, overall, can be sticky to sew because they aren't a woven thread material and the needle must pierce the stretchy plastic each time, but a needle going through a cloth parts the fibres.

but, Cotton canvas (aka painters' dropsheets as a source) retains and attracts dampness unless it's absolutely permeated with waterproofing...
    Try to park your bike on dry ground (and that can drain away rain that pours off the tarp) too or you might end up with condensation inside an impermeable tarp so at least allow ventilation from underneath if it's damp ground

IE: you can make a fresh water "still" by placing plastic over wet ground...

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
      You might consider material that's used for awnings on boats. It's fairly easy to sew and is long lasting in sunlight. More expensive though....Plastics, overall, can be sticky to sew because they aren't a woven thread material and the needle must pierce the stretchy plastic each time, but a needle going through a cloth parts the fibres.

but, Cotton canvas (aka painters' dropsheets as a source) retains and attracts dampness unless it's absolutely permeated with waterproofing...
      Try to park your bike on dry ground (and that can drain away rain that pours off the tarp) too or you might end up with condensation inside an impermeable tarp so at least allow ventilation from underneath if it's damp ground

IE: you can make a fresh water "still" by placing plastic over wet ground...

That's a very good point of reference;I want a cover that will allow ground moisture to escape-through it.I can't say how many former customer's bikes I've had the displeasure of working-on that were Very corroded all over because of a cover that won't breathe..

Comment

Try these, the company I used to work for used them for truck tarpaulins.
        Mitco: The UK's leading supplier and fabricator of industrial textiles and materials
        My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot :eagerness: and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Working...
        X