oil temp gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil temp gauge

My oil temp on my 700 doesn't work, and I'm stumped on how to fix it. I've gone into the gauge and taken it completely apart. because of the gauge cluster case, it looks completely new in there, with no burnt out electricals. I've check the wiring, and it's all wired correctly. is there any kind of test I can do to try and diagnois a problem? the needles constantly pegged at 0

If you take the wire off of the oil temp sensor on the oil filter cover and ground it to the motor or any metal part the gauge should go to 320 degrees, if it does then your temp sensor is bad.

I believe the temp sensor is still located on the filter cover on a 85

Comment

ok, I grounded the sensor (which is located right next to my starter motor cover) on the clutch cover and the gauge read about 300 degrees, but thats without the engine running, so with the extra voltage, should I expect the full 320? it might still of been climbing anyways.
      So my question now is, I'm assuming that my sensor is bad, are they rebuildable? or do I need to shell out the $40 for a new one.

Comment

as far as i know the sensor is not rebuildable, you would just unscrew the old one and screw in the new sensor and attach the wire.

other members will sooner or later chime in on this subject, but i would say its a faulty temp sensor.

Comment

how long to warm up?

How long does it take for the gauge to move when riding bike? I rode for about 30 minutes to day. temp in the high 30's and the gauge was barely over the 160 reading? Is that normal. The riding 80 percent stop and go traffic.

Comment

My 83 1100E, with oil cooler, takes forever to get the needle to move at all, and it has never gotten above 200. (once I get teh carbs squared away, I will be able to test it further

Derrick

Comment

Just guessing here, but because these bikes are air cooled, I would think that the oil may not get too hot in 30 minutes at that temp. How were you riding, easy or hard? The harder you ride the quicker the oil temp should rise. And, also, do you have an oil cooler? This could also help keep the bike cooler. My bike doesn't have an oil temp sensor, so it really isn't a concern to me unless it's hot and I'm stuck in traffic.

Brad tt

Comment

oil temp

I wasn't riding that hard. No oil cooler. It should be warmer on Sunday, will ride then and see what happens. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X