Holing a piston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holing a piston

No, I've not done this, but with it looking like it's going to be decent this weekend, so I thought I'd ask. Some of you may know of my muffler disappearance, but I had a couple of people talk of running waaay too lean with it gone, and possibly holing a piston if I were to keep riding without the muffler. Now, I've parked the bike since last Sunday, but I'd really like to ride if I can this weekend (short trips). Would I be safer in just waiting for the muffler to arrive? Or would it be okay to take it out? Mind you if I ride to work tomorrow, it's approx 2.5 miles one way.

Thanks
    Brad tt

I can't imagine the engine running fine without the muffler. And overhere I'd be pulled off the road by the Police if I did take it out on the street. Running it (lean) like this can, in nobody's mind, be good for the engine. So leave it in the stable for the weekend is my advice.

Greetz, Marco.

Comment

what do the spark plugs look like, that will tell you if you are running lean or not, regardless of a muffler or not.

-ryan
      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
      82 Kat 1000 Project
      05 CRF450x
      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

I wouldn't do it.

Comment

I was at Autozone and needed a mid pipe. Mines the same diameter. I saw some end pipes that aren't quite mufflers, but have some sort of baffle in the end. I think they were like $15-$20. Might be worth a shot? At least it would be better than nothing. Not really sure if that would do anything or not.

Just a thought.

Comment

I wouldn't risk it Brad.

Comment

just check the plugs they will tell you what is going on inside your moter, if it's white, it's lean if it's dark brown/blach it's rich. don't run it if the plugs are white.

-ryan
              82 Kat 1000 Project
              05 CRF450x

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I'll leave it be until the muffler arrives.

Brad tt

Comment

Originally posted by bradleymaynar
                  Thanks for the replies. I'll leave it be until the muffler arrives.

Brad tt
                  Good move Brad. It's a good man who doesn't take the risk.

Although what Ryan said is valid. It really doesn't matter what you have if it isn't running lean, you'll be OK. Checking the plugs is the answer.

Comment

Just thought I'd answer the plug color question. I checked one today and it was white/lean. Thanks again for telling me to keep my skinny a$$ off it until the muffler arrives. [-(

Comment

installing that muffle will not be the anwswer to your problems , once you install it run it a lttle bit and then recheck the plugs, you need to get them to a dark brown color and fooling with teh exhaust will on;y mildly affect the the mixture, i suspect carb readjustments will be needed.

-ryan
                      82 Kat 1000 Project
                      05 CRF450x

Comment

Originally posted by first timer
                        installing that muffle will not be the anwswer to your problems , once you install it run it a lttle bit and then recheck the plugs, you need to get them to a dark brown color and fooling with teh exhaust will on;y mildly affect the the mixture, i suspect carb readjustments will be needed.

-ryan
                        Let the fun begin!

Brad tt

Comment

when my 1100e decided to eject the baffle it was very lean, but i was using it as my daily transport so i went to advance auto parts and got a cherry bomb muffler and drove it like that for the summer and it still ran as rich as my mac 4-1 did, sounded pretty badass too! 8O :P $20 temporary fix

Comment

What is "holing a piston"?

Would someone give some details?

Tank you

Comment

Working...
                            X