Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs650g Shaftie Bad Noises From Rear Drive Unit

1983 GS650G Shaft Drive.
    There are EVIL :twisted: noises coming from rear wheel area.
    Rear bearings just replaced. Still have "chruncing" noises.
    It only happens when the rear wheel is bearing weight. If I put it on the center stand and spin the wheel manually with bike in neutral, there is no noise and wheel spins freely.

My Question. Is the rear drive unit servicable?
    If so, does anyone have any info / tips before I start to tear it down.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Troy

The only serviceable thing I know of is the gear oil. Have you checked the oil level, or is the oil getting old?
    If the rear drive unit is damaged inside, I would try and get a good second hand one off the scrap yard. But I never heard of them breaking down.

Comment

I believe I saw a final drive unit on E-bay today....you might check it out.

Steve

Comment

Re: Gs650g Shaftie Bad Noises From Rear Drive Unit

yep... there's a lot You can do...

check the oil level... grease the splines of the drive/driven units (rear wheel off)... check that the three rear drive unit mounting bolts are tight... loose the rubber boot between the engine and the shaft and check thet everything's ok there... good luck!

(and if there's too much clearance in the rear drive unit, it can be adjusted with shims... so no worry!)

Originally posted by troym99
        1983 GS650G Shaft Drive.
        There are EVIL :twisted: noises coming from rear wheel area.
        Rear bearings just replaced. Still have "chruncing" noises.
        It only happens when the rear wheel is bearing weight. If I put it on the center stand and spin the wheel manually with bike in neutral, there is no noise and wheel spins freely.

My Question. Is the rear drive unit servicable?
        If so, does anyone have any info / tips before I start to tear it down.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
        Troy

Comment

Is the noise there only when you accelerate or is it there constantly?

I had a noise problem with my 650 Katana. Actually I still have, cos I havn't got round to fixing it yet. When you have that rubber boot pulled back, use a big screwdriver and see if the drive shaft inside can be moved around, up, down, side to side. It should have no movement. If it has, the problem may be at that end of the drive shaft, not at the rear wheel.

If you search back through the Q&A you should find my earlier questions and the replies. It may be helpful if only to eliminate that as your problem.

Comment

Working...
          X