Oil Leak on 83 GS1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Leak on 83 GS1100E

I just picked up (it was delivered) an 83 GS1100E with 24k miles.
    Bike is very clean, very stock.
    I put about 8 miles on it (it is 35 degrees here in Indy) and noticed it was leaving drops on the floor.
    I looked for the leak; it appears to be from the front of the engine, below the head, between the two middle cylinders (2 & 3?).
    Any clues as to where to look first? The oil is very clean, indicating fresh and straight from the inside somewhere.
    I have a Clymer's coming in the mail, but it is not here yet.
    I am very bike-literate, but this is my first GS1100E.
    Thanks, kk

oil leak

The cam chain tensioner at the back of the barrel (flows down through the barrels) or a leaky head bolt inside the engine.Easy to fix.

Comment

First, congrats on the bike. I love those 1100's.

If I was to guess, and that's what I'm doing, I would say a leaky cylinder base gasket. Those things get old and brittle and ... well, you know the rest of the story.

Comment

Tachometer drive too

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by srivett2
          Tachometer drive too

Steve
          That was my thought. Check and see if where the tach cable enters the engine isn't the culprit. Start cheap with replacing those O-rings before you tear into the engine.

Brad tt

Comment

Re: Oil Leak on 83 GS1100E

On the front of the engine, below the head, between the 2 and 3 cylinders there is a bolt. You will need to lay down and look up at the area between the 2,3 cylinders below the cam chain casting/bulge. You will see the 10 mm bolt head. It screws up. If it is not tight, its a guaranteed leak in the spot you describe. (had that problem, been there, done that :-) )

Earl

Originally posted by koolaid_kid
            I just picked up (it was delivered) an 83 GS1100E with 24k miles.
            Bike is very clean, very stock.
            I put about 8 miles on it (it is 35 degrees here in Indy) and noticed it was leaving drops on the floor.
            I looked for the leak; it appears to be from the front of the engine, below the head, between the two middle cylinders (2 & 3?).
            Any clues as to where to look first? The oil is very clean, indicating fresh and straight from the inside somewhere.
            I have a Clymer's coming in the mail, but it is not here yet.
            I am very bike-literate, but this is my first GS1100E.
            Thanks, kk
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

On my bike there was oil film running around the head gasket area after a good hard run, cleaned it off & ran the bike at idle & above , no oil film.
              Then I noticed a drip of oil on the cam chain tensioner!
              The oil was being sucked through the gap in the barrels at speed & placed straight on to the head joint.
              Picked up an o ring from the hardware 3 months ago for the lock bolt ,no pobs.

Comment

On my bike there was oil film running around the head gasket area after a good hard run, cleaned it off & ran the bike at idle & above , no oil film.
                Then I noticed a drip of oil on the cam chain tensioner!
                The oil was being sucked through the gap in the barrels at speed & placed straight on to the head joint.
                Picked up an o ring from the hardware 3 months ago for the lock bolt ,no probs.

Comment

Thanks for all the quick responses. They are greatly appreciated.
                  earlfor, I noticed that bolt, it is exactly where the oil leak is. I will try that first, as it would be a quick fix. I could not figure out why it is upside down or what it does.
                  To others, I checked the tach drive, the leak is below that, but thanks for directing me to look there as well.
                  I was disappointed to see the leak, as my Kaw is also down with a similar leak. But hey these are old bikes, I mean bikes with character, so these things happen.
                  kk

Comment

Mystery partially solved. Tightened the upside down bolt per earlfor's suggestion. Washed the oil off, went for a short ride. Now oil is pouring out (well, a fairly steady drip) from the front of the valve cover. It appears that the gasket is leaking where the two inside bolts are located.
                    Tightening them did not stop the leak, so it looks like the tank is coming off. Caveat empor. :x
                    Is there an on-line parts house that this forum recommends?
                    kk

Comment

For a reusable silicone valve cover gasket, try this place:

Real Gaskets Tennessee is a manufacturer of silicone rubber valve cover gaskets for aircraft engines, automobile engines, and motorcycle engines.

Just be aware that the torque values for these gaskets are in INCH-POUNDS. The correct torque will be less than a full turn past finger tight. Many of us on the forum use these gaskets. Since I have the same bike as you I can assure you that this gasket will work.

Joe
                      IBA# 24077
                      '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                      '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                      '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Thanks, Joe. Placed the order just now.
                        Know what you mean about the torque. I broke off a few in my day before they trained me to be gentle.
                        kk

Comment

KK,

The torque required for these gaskets wouldn't break a plastic screw. Most people who have installed these worry if there is enough torque to keep the screws from coming loose.

Joe
                          IBA# 24077
                          '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                          '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                          '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

As you can see by the number of suggestions, there are plenty of potential leaky spots.

Comment

I had quite a few valve cover bolts back out a full turn after getting the realgasket. It can be tricky to get the bolts to stay in but it is so worth it when you don't have to clean off the old gasket.

ps. The upside down bolts are for the head gasket. Mine drips from there when I'm beating on the bike but hasn't gotten bad enough to pull the head.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X