oil tank band?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil tank band?

ok I've got a really curious question, I was interested in what looked to be a hook of some sort in my under seat box while I was installing my new blinkers today.

Sure enough, bikebandit's schematics show an "oil tank band" that seems to go through a slot right below the storage lid and attach onto this hook inside the box.

My question is what the heck is this for? some random oil tank I'm supposed to have? I'm a little confused, Thanks for clearing it up for me.

on further inspection, it seems that the plate that the strap is connected to has a bar running across that looks like it might snap into my seat bottom, my curiosity grows...

Comment

I have no idea why they have it listed as oil tank band.
      maybe it is there to hold a catch tank for racing aplications as catch tanks are required on race bikes.
      maybe it is for carrying extra oil, but considering the size it would be a small bottle.

Comment

yeah, it's really weird. there's one on Ebay right now, the strap and the plate, they call it a seat hook plate

anyone else have any idea what it might be for?

Comment

It looks like the bracket & strap that holds the tool kit in the little glove compartment under the tail section. Mine was missing on my "83" 1100 E so I put one in from a "79" GS 1000 S. It looks a little different, but works exactly the same.

Comment

You'll need sombody to dig up a microfiche to figure that one out. I bet the oil tank would be on the fiche with the gasket sets and repair paint. My guess is that the bike came with some chain lube.

Steve

Comment

That appears to be the rear seat catch hold down plate. (usually mounts under the tool kit storage area. The rubber is probably the hold down strap for the tool kit that sits on top of it.

Earl
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
              X