leak through spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

leak through spark

I just wanted to post this before acting.

i found fuel leaking out of the edges around my far left spark plug. The plugs have never fouled and I've never had a running problem. Just lots of junk around the area of the leak. I though before it must of been a bad gasket and one day i was staring down at the area and saw bubbles coming up while the bike was running.

anyways. the plugs haven't been touched in a year and I've had the problem since i got the bike.

i don't want to risk over torqueing the plug into the opening but at the same time want to see if there is any free play.

IF the plug is in as tight as it will go is this just something I'm gonna have to deal with or is there something i can do/use to stop the leakage?

thanks

A couple of things come to mind:

1: Loose plug. Loosen it (to be sure) then torque it to spec; probably 12-14 lb-ft.
    2: Bad plug gasket. Replace the plug. Retorque plug to spec.
    3: Debris of some kind left between the plug and the head. Remove the plug and inspect/clean. Retorque plug to spec.
    4: Bad seating surface on the head (someone before you buggered it up) If a new properly torqued plug doesn't fix this, I don't know what to do.

At least it's an easy plug to get to. Good luck

Comment

I wouldn't run it like that. I think a leak like that has the potential of getting worse by eroding more of the head. Find out what the problem is and fix it.

Comment

I wouldn't run it like that. I think a leak like that has the potential of getting worse by eroding more of the head. Find out what the problem is and fix it.
        I agree. The leak will not get any better if left alone and will most likely get worse. You can also have a small chance of the leaking fuel igniting and causing a fire.

Comment

Also burning a piston if it's pulling air and fireing lean. Does it run OK? Not saying to run it anyway, just curious.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

The outside plugs on my 750 would back out on a regular basis all by themselves. :roll: It didn't matter if they were old, new, properly torqued, clean, or dirty....

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
              Also burning a piston if it's pulling air and fireing lean. Does it run OK? Not saying to run it anyway, just curious.
              She runs like a champ. I reseated it and cleaned up the area to see if any new fluid makes it out. I changed out my oil and will see what it does after some run time today.

73 in sunny KCMO.

Comment

Working...
              X