Engine building/performance book suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine building/performance book suggestions

I am looking for any books that you would recommend for engine building and performance, or street setups. This doesn't have to be motorcycle specific either.

I am going to start rebuilding my 750 soon and would like a pretty hot, high compression motor. It will stay at 750 cc's though 8) ... I am planning on head polishing, cams, carbs (smoothbore's), high comp pistons, and high tech ignition for starters. There's a whole list of really different chassis mods as well... :twisted:

Since Bob Bertaut doesn't work on GS's any more, I'm probably going to do most of the work myself. I want to read any good books on the subject, which is where you guys come in. So let me have your thoughts!

Thanks everyone!

-Tim

Is it going to be a race bike or street?? As a street bike a stock Busa will out run it no matter how much money you through at it. If you are serious I would sugest you make it a 7/11. 750 frame with a 1100 motorand go from there

Comment

Street bike.

I know that there are many bikes out there that will kill it for acceleration and top speed. I'm not really after the fastest bike out there. I just want my 750 to have more power than it does now. I could then, for example, go up a tooth on the countershaft sprocket and tour at 80-90 MPH without sounding like a sewing machine. Or, keep stock gearing and have a really fun time in the twisties.

The thing is, I already have an 83 1100E. I don't like it as much as my 81 750E. Call me crazy but I think it's more fun to go fast on a smaller bike than it is to just pour on the power after a corner. My 750 does everything better than the 1100. Touring, sporting, carrying luggage, commuting.... Everything except raw horsepower.

I want to rebuild my 750 to have the same linear power delivery that it has now, just more of it. Hence the need for the books and other reference material about engines. I don't want a drag bike that only goes good at WFO... More of a streetable road racer. 8)

Comment

I have two books

A Guide to Motorcycle Dragracing by Mike Nelson

and

Superbike Preparation by Jewel Hendricks

Both books cover various topics...carbs, heads, cams, suspension

I just got the Superbike Preparation bike book (used) recently for about 12 bucks shipped to the door by doing a search on used books. I have another book on the way that BadbillyB suggested called

Performance Tuning in theory and practice by A. Gramn Bell
        1982 GS1000S Katana
        1982 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by HiSPL
          Street bike.

I know that there are many bikes out there that will kill it for acceleration and top speed. I'm not really after the fastest bike out there. I just want my 750 to have more power than it does now. I could then, for example, go up a tooth on the countershaft sprocket and tour at 80-90 MPH without sounding like a sewing machine. Or, keep stock gearing and have a really fun time in the twisties.

The thing is, I already have an 83 1100E. I don't like it as much as my 81 750E. Call me crazy but I think it's more fun to go fast on a smaller bike than it is to just pour on the power after a corner. My 750 does everything better than the 1100. Touring, sporting, carrying luggage, commuting.... Everything except raw horsepower.

I want to rebuild my 750 to have the same linear power delivery that it has now, just more of it. Hence the need for the books and other reference material about engines. I don't want a drag bike that only goes good at WFO... More of a streetable road racer. 8)
          Swap Motors, problem solved

I remember bakc in the day we would keep all the 750's Stock looking, and slap in an 1100 motor, made a REALLLLLLY nice combination.
          Everything you wanted in the slightly smaller package.

Otherwise, Google your question, and you'll get more hits then a Sugarblock in Summer.

Comment

Working...
          X