A little carb Info. Please!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little carb Info. Please!!!

I have a 1980 1100ET and the carbs seam to be running a little rich. Let me explain my situation. I have a stage 1 jet kit with a V&H megaphone header and the orginal air box with a K&N High Flow Air Filter. I have also changed my coil packs from the orginals to a set of Dyna's that I purchased from APE. After all of the work that I have done I still have a small trail of white smoke while Ideling. I belive I am running a little rich but would like a little more Info. if possible. At this time the only thing I have done to the carbs is advance the spark pluge gap and chanced the main jets to a set of 110's. At this time it runs better than it ever has before but it still seams to have a flat spot comming out of the gate and the white smoke is a problem that everyone makes comments about. Since I am not a good carb. guy I am not sure where I should go next. I know that I should adjust certin jets but I just do not know where to go from here. Please could some one let me know where to go next.

Thanks for all of your help!!!!
    The Beast :twisted:

Re: A little carb Info. Please!!!

My feeling is that for an 1100 with a V & H 4 into one, 110 mains may be a little on the lean side. 110's are about what you would run on a 750 with a 4 into 1. What color is the center ceramic on your spark plugs?

Earl

Originally posted by Boozy Creek Beast
    I have a 1980 1100ET and the carbs seam to be running a little rich. Let me explain my situation. I have a stage 1 jet kit with a V&H megaphone header and the orginal air box with a K&N High Flow Air Filter. I have also changed my coil packs from the orginals to a set of Dyna's that I purchased from APE. After all of the work that I have done I still have a small trail of white smoke while Ideling. I belive I am running a little rich but would like a little more Info. if possible. At this time the only thing I have done to the carbs is advance the spark pluge gap and chanced the main jets to a set of 110's. At this time it runs better than it ever has before but it still seams to have a flat spot comming out of the gate and the white smoke is a problem that everyone makes comments about. Since I am not a good carb. guy I am not sure where I should go next. I know that I should adjust certin jets but I just do not know where to go from here. Please could some one let me know where to go next.

Thanks for all of your help!!!!
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Correct me if I am wrong, But I thought that white smoke implied oil burning, while black smoke indicates rich conditions, maybe the carbs are not the issue,

Derrick

Comment

The plugs are running black with a little carbon build up. Not bad according to my manual but again any info. will be good. I just finished replaceing all of the gaskets on my top end and after inspecting everything it still seamed to be with in the tolarances. I do not think I am burning oil because the smoke dose not smell like it.

Comment

Valve Guides, or Piston Ring Blowby, just by the light smoking @ idle & Plug info you have given.

Do a Compression check and then a leakdown.

Rich = Black Smoke, BME.

Peace,
          Ron

Comment

Working...
          X