Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KATANA DILEMMA - CUSTOMIZE AN 82 OR 83 WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KATANA DILEMMA - CUSTOMIZE AN 82 OR 83 WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

I now have a problem I have been wanting to have for many years. I recently purchased a 1983 Kat frame and body set and I just also bought a complete stock 1982 with the original 1000 motor in it.

OK, I want to build a completely custom Kat for myself. having been duly inspired by Katman's mega saga ....

I will be putting an extended swingarm and gixxer wheels with gsxr1100 front end on it as well as either an 1166 or 1260 (10:25 to 1) motor with all the trimmings.....

Here is my dilemma: Do I build on the 1982 chassis because it is much rarer (only 500 imported into the US) and more collectible???
    or do you guys think that all the mods will negate the 82 collectability and I may as well just mod the 83 and either sell the stock 82 to someone who will restore it to stock or maybe hold onto it and restore it myself someday.

What would you do?

Keep the 82 and gradually restore it, and go hog wild on the 83.
    Dink

Comment

I agree with Dink
      1982 GS1000S Katana
      1982 GS1100E

Comment

Definately bone stock restore the 82. Concourse level if you can, but don't stop riding it...

If only I had these problems.... :roll:

Comment

I agree with Dinks option.

Comment

I have to disagree with all of the fine GSer's above. Sell both to me give your mind a rest. 8)

Comment

save the 82, go hog wild on the 83

-ryan
              78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
              82 Kat 1000 Project
              05 CRF450x
              10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

about the stock 82

It is still a blast to ride....

Comment

Well having a customised SZ myself (it was like that when I got it, so alas I too have not had Pointshy's delicious dilemma), I have a soft spot for customised machines PROVIDED they are done well. And if you are going to imitate the Katman standard, as you indicate, then without argument you are doing the right thing, perhaps even regardless of the year/model.

And while I'm in the mood, isn't it true that the original Katana indicators are just plain ugly, great big yellow flappers of things hideously grafted onto one of the most wonderful pieces of motorcycle styling ever created? No wonder people started customising Katanas, ripping off the indicators, grafting on more stylish tail assemblies, etc. etc.

So here's my thesis: it is very difficult to leave a standard Katana as standard! And that's before we have even started to consider the engine...

Mike.

Comment

like everyone said, save the original! 8)

and go nuts with the other one!

Comment

Working...
                    X