My Wandering GS850G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Wandering GS850G

I have a question about my 1980 GS850GT. As I am riding down the road it tends to wander back and forth from the left to right constantly. It's never a big swing to one side or the other but it is always tilting just a little left or right. I really notice this with a strong cross wind or head wind. With the wind behind me it really isn't noticable. I really notice it at slow speed when the bike constantly feel like it is tilting just a little back and forth.

What would cause this? Could this be a sign of bad fork springs or shocks? I also have fairly new tires on the bike which have a tread which might make the bike hunt back and forth a little, but it seems to do it regardless of the road surface. It's not really a problem but if I could correct this easily I would do it.

Thanks for you help!!!

Terry

Re: My Wandering GS850G

Unequal amounts of oil in your fork tubes will cause this. When the forkes compress, the forktube with the least oil will compress further, twisting your forks and front axle a minute amount. It takes an extremely small disparity in the compression balance between the fork tubes to cause this problem. If your springs are old and weak, it further amplifies it. I would drain and refill the fork tubes. I use 30 weight non detergent motor oil for filling my forks. It will stiffen up the fork action slightly and slow down an compression imbalance in the springs also.

Also, leaking fork seals will contribute to this problem, but if you are not showing an oil leakage rings from the seals on the lower fork tubes, I doubt they are a problem.

(had the problem, found something that worked.) :-)

Earl

quote="terry south"]I have a question about my 1980 GS850GT. As I am riding down the road it tends to wander back and forth from the left to right constantly. It's never a big swing to one side or the other but it is always tilting just a little left or right. I really notice this with a strong cross wind or head wind. With the wind behind me it really isn't noticable. I really notice it at slow speed when the bike constantly feel like it is tilting just a little back and forth.

What would cause this? Could this be a sign of bad fork springs or shocks? I also have fairly new tires on the bike which have a tread which might make the bike hunt back and forth a little, but it seems to do it regardless of the road surface. It's not really a problem but if I could correct this easily I would do it.

Thanks for you help!!!

Terry[/quote]
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

It could also be the rear wheel is not square with the front end, even if the marks on your chain adjuster on the swingarm match each other. That's more likely to act like death wobbles though. I know because my 81 had that problem. Fixed it by doing a string line chain alignment. I think I can e-mail you the walkthrough.
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Give the steering head bearings a check while you are at it.

Comment

Thanks for the help! I will check out the fork oil and the other things you mentioned. I am not showing any leakage at all and I may have some new fork springs put in at the same time I have the oil checked. I'm sure that the springs are original. Any suggestions on what type to use? I've heard that progressive spring are very good. Has anybody used them or any others that you could recommend?

Thanks,
          Terry

Comment

also, chech your swingarm bearings.

put your bike on the centrestand, and try and wiggle the back tire left and right. if you have ANY play, you must check your swingarm bearings. if not, they are likely fine, and its probably the forks.

poot

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
              It could also be the rear wheel is not square with the front end, even if the marks on your chain adjuster on the swingarm match each other. That's more likely to act like death wobbles though. I know because my 81 had that problem. Fixed it by doing a string line chain alignment. I think I can e-mail you the walkthrough.
              Jethro, his bike is an 850G. If it has a chain adjuster he has much bigger problems.
              Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by dpep
                Jethro, his bike is an 850G. If it has a chain adjuster he has much bigger problems.
                DOH!!! you beat me to it!! LOL

check your tire presures

check head bearings for play or more importantly drag

check wheel bearings, if they are more than two years old, clean, inspect, re-pack or replace (you don't want to be on the bike when a wheel
                bearing fails!)

some tire combinations will cause this, are they a matched set? (same make model)
                when did you notice this problem starting?

check the axle caps, check the tripple tree clamp bolts.

Comment

Oops! I forgot some of you guys ride the ladies models. Forgive me!
                  Currently bikeless
                  '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Oops! I forgot some of you guys ride the ladies models. Forgive me!
                    I'll have to remember that one.

Comment

I'll have to remember that one.
                      Sorry, can't hear you, already running away...
                      Currently bikeless

Comment

Yeah, and keep running................
                        Steering head bearings too tight by the sound of it. Did mine a couple of months ago and what a difference.

Comment

I had too big of a front tire mounted and it caused this problem (flat running surface).

Comment

Terry......

Where you able to fix this problem.....with all of these solutions I am
                            curious as to what the problem was.

Comment

For replacement fork springs, go with some from Progressive. They are vastly superior to the originals. In my GS850GZ, I use about 3/8" more preload than the standard spacers (pvc pipe cut to length--make sure they're the same!) and 20 weight fork oil. Works really well for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X