Front end damping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front end damping

Hi, I'd like to soften up the ride a bit on the front end. I've messed around with different psi's within spec to no great effect. I don't know what weight of fork oil I have in, so I assuming that when I do a flush I should go with a 10 weight oil ? Thanks y'all

Re: Front end damping

15 wt is probably about average, but there isnt any way of knowing what the previous owner may have put in the forks. You could try 10 wt. It wont hurt anything. You can also use straight ATF. I think it is close to 15 wt though.
    You might also want to flush your forks before adding the new oil. There could be enough debris to be causing a reduction in flow and consequent stiff fork action.

Earl

Originally posted by pidgey
    Hi, I'd like to soften up the ride a bit on the front end. I've messed around with different psi's within spec to no great effect. I don't know what weight of fork oil I have in, so I assuming that when I do a flush I should go with a 10 weight oil ? Thanks y'all
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Earl is right (for once!) If you've never changed the fork oil you might find that it's pretty dirty darn thick. Replacing it with the same weight may be good enough.

You are on track with the thinner oils. You could even go down to 5W if the 10W is too stiff.

Comment

I have gone with straight ATF and it is a nice smooth ride compared to what it was before. Of course I had no idea what oil the previous owner used.

Comment

Working...
        X