Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CALLING ALL CARB EXPERTS

1983 GS850G. Stock carbs.
    I have diped and cleaned every thing I can think of. Installed new K&L rebuild kits and installed Rober Barr's "O" rings everywhere. I have blown out all passages. Set all floats to 22 +/- 1 mm. Now here's what's happening.
    When ever I do anything with carbs, I always set them up level and run a gas bottle to check to make sure the floats hold. Well I did this Sat. AM and checked on them from time to time. Well this afternoon Mon. I get home and find out that gas is coming out one carb. It is coming out of the hole across from the air jet that is on the intake side of the carb. As you look at the intake side, towards air cleaner, of the carb it's on the right side. My question is [/b]WHY ME???, and what would cause this?
    As I understand it this is only a air passage to the float bowl assembly. This has got me stumped. Any Thoughts as to what direction to go to from here. GOD, I hate these dam carbs!!!! Something with them always seem to come up and BITE you in the A** when you touch them.
    Thanks for your input.
    Frank Grimes
    E-Bay user flg1143

Sounds to me like the float valve is still sticking or is somehow letting fuel pass. It would likely be coming out of the carb throat though. I don't know man, that's a problem I haven't seen.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Is the gas tank rusty? Any amount of dirt or rust could have been caught in the needle causing it to leak.
      MAKE sure the petcock is working properly, drain the fuel bowls 1-2 times to flush the needle

Comment

Jethro, my thoughts also, but the float needles, seats and o rings are new. Well needless to say I was BS when I saw it. So I took the bowl off and checked needle for movement and it's free. Check float level again, button it up and put back on the float test. We'll see. I am in hopes it was just a pieace of crap in there.
        Thanks, Frank

Comment

SqDancerLynn1.
          I am running gas to them off a gas bottle, so the tank isn't involved. The rack of carbs are off the bike. I have them set up on a barrel with a cover. Leveled everything with a level, and the bottle is hung up above them for gravity feed. We'll see what happens in the next couple of days. I've been burnt once when I rebuilt a set and one of the floats did not seat. You know the drill from that point, drain oil, remove carbs. I don't find it that much fun anymore taking them off and on.
          Thanks for input.
          Frank

Comment

are the carbs leaking right after filled with gas or does it take a while for them to start leaking. if they start leaking after a while then that is common, the float needles can't hold back a large volume of gas, thats why they have auto petcocks that shut off when the bike is not running.

try filling the carbs then the hose and pinch the hose off to replica a properly working petcock, see if gas leaks now.

-ryan
            78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
            82 Kat 1000 Project
            05 CRF450x
            10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

first timer.
              In answer to the question, it took about 3 days for it to start leaking. Hopefully you have hit the nail on the head. If it happens again, I'll do just as you have said. Thank you so much for the info.
              Frank

Comment

Re: CALLING ALL CARB EXPERTS

Originally posted by flg1143
                ...Something with them always seem to come up and BITE you in the A** when you touch them...
                I have the same problem with my wife.... :twisted:

Comment

Petcock

That happened to me! I bought a set of working rebuilt carbs off ebay (GS1000G)
                  I bolted them up and it ran like the choke was on, I left it overnight and upon the daylight of the next day gas fumes everywhere!
                  I attempted to turn it over and a large/loud crack/bang! Fuel lock!
                  I strpped down the carbs and located that the float valve/needle seals were all leaking.
                  I ordered new ones and they came, I cranked it up (after changing the oil) and it ran fine.
                  Next day, same problem! crancases filled again!!
                  I finally figured it out with help from GSresourses that the petcock was leaking, I bought a new petcock seal kit and the damn thing still leaked!
                  Hence, I bought an in line fuel shut off valve and now, It runs like new.

Comment

Just a shot in the dark, but are you sure the float floats? It could be porous and absorbing fuel.

Comment

Working...
                    X