Plug Wires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plug Wires

I have an '85 GS550L, and have been trying to get all four cylinders firing reliably. (see the thread from last week titled Cold & Wet)

I have done the WD40 treatment, and that helped, but the wires are in really bad shape. The connectors are cracked, and the #1 plug connector pulled right off a while ago. I managed to get it back together, but they really need to be replaced. Right now, #3 isn't firing...

I was at the dealer (sizing the girlfriend for a helmet, big steps you know...) and asked about plug wires. They can only sell me wires with new coils, and want $110 for a set. I'd like to avoid that pain.

They suggested that the wire attachment to the coil looked like (from the grainy diagram they had) was socketed. And that if I could take it apart, bring in the wires, they might be able to find something that will work.

I can do this, but I just filled the tank, and if it can be done, I'm sure someone (Earl) will know.

Thanks a lot,

Rob

P.S. Has anyone considered adding a "Ask Earl" forum?

same problem and the same city, if you figure out how to replace the wires you will have to tell me my #1 is wrecked. you can find spark plug wires on almost any motorcycle website. I know for a fact that JP Cycles sells them

Comment

Re: Plug Wires

The spark plugs wires into the coils are usually soldered and then the cavity is epoxy filled. It is possible with a hot air heat gun and a pick to remove the epoxy, get it cleaned out and a new wire soldered into place, then refill the cavity with J B Weld (which is epoxy). Its tedious and frustrating and I would not do it. I cheat. Usually, when the wires are aged enough to crack, the problem is with the outer 2/3 of the wire. The first few inches next to the coils are under the tank and out of the sun and weather. usually, that part is is good shape. The stock spark plug wires are stranded (copper I believe), so you can cut your plug wires off about 3 inches from the coil, strip back the insulation for about 1/2" and crimp an electrical butt connector of the appropriate size on the wire and then crimp the new plug wire into the other end of the connector. A dozen wraps of electrical tape and a coating of liquid electrical tape and you're in business.
      You can use common stranded automotive plug wire. You can also use straight rubber, non resistor spark plug boots that a car can. Any auto parts store should carry a spark plug boot and wire kit for a 4 cylinder car for not a lot of money. I have non resistor wire and automotive non resistor rubber plug caps on both my bikes and they do just fine.
      The whole thing probably shouldnt cost you more than ten bucks.

It'll work and get you back on the road for not much money. :-)

If or when you do decide to replace coils with Accel or Dyna, fitting new plug wires is easy on both of them. The wires just plug in. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by rmcdo
      I have an '85 GS550L, and have been trying to get all four cylinders firing reliably. (see the thread from last week titled Cold & Wet)

I have done the WD40 treatment, and that helped, but the wires are in really bad shape. The connectors are cracked, and the #1 plug connector pulled right off a while ago. I managed to get it back together, but they really need to be replaced. Right now, #3 isn't firing...

I was at the dealer (sizing the girlfriend for a helmet, big steps you know...) and asked about plug wires. They can only sell me wires with new coils, and want $110 for a set. I'd like to avoid that pain.

They suggested that the wire attachment to the coil looked like (from the grainy diagram they had) was socketed. And that if I could take it apart, bring in the wires, they might be able to find something that will work.

I can do this, but I just filled the tank, and if it can be done, I'm sure someone (Earl) will know.

Thanks a lot,

Rob

P.S. Has anyone considered adding a "Ask Earl" forum?
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Plug Wires

I guess I'll go ahead and pull the tank to get a better look at how bad they are. I'm not afraid of a little $10 surgery.

If I decide to go with the aftermarket coils (is there any sane reason (other than a NOS restoration) to get OEM coils?). Which ones should I get, and what is the best place to get them? Has anyone had any trouble fitting them under there?

Rob

Comment

Re: Plug Wires

I would not replace with OEM coils. Both Dyna and Accell are better coils.
          I've never encountered a space problem with either on E model bikes.
          Gee-s-is had to fabricate a bracket for his L model. I dont know if that is true of all L models of different displacement though.

I bought my Accel coils from http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/
          They dont list Dyna, but if you phone them, they will order them for you.
          Their prices are about as good as you will find and their service is excellent. Talk to Rob if you call about ordering Dyna's.

Earl

Originally posted by rmcdo
          I guess I'll go ahead and pull the tank to get a better look at how bad they are. I'm not afraid of a little $10 surgery.

If I decide to go with the aftermarket coils (is there any sane reason (other than a NOS restoration) to get OEM coils?). Which ones should I get, and what is the best place to get them? Has anyone had any trouble fitting them under there?

Rob
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Plug Wires

Why did motorcycle manufacturers ever think it was a good idea to epoxy the plug wires into the coils? What a pain, and I'm sure it saved them about $0.20...

Thanks for all the info.

Rob

Comment

You may have a space problem on a 550 with dyna coils. or check for Nology coils - much smaller preformance coil. The used option is a set of late modelcoils Any bandit, GSXR coils up to 96??? usually $20 for a set on ebay

Comment

Working...
              X