Bike not starting HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike not starting HELP!

I've got an '84 GS550E that isn't starting, EXCEPT when I drop the clutch from 2nd gear down a hill. Obviously, the engine is fine and I'm thinking it has something to do with the starter or another piece of electronics. The bike does need a carb cleaning and an oil change, but again, it runs alright after it gets started.

A friend and I took everything we could apart and checked all the wiring we could find and found nothing unusual.

Any ideas?

not to be insulting, but the battery?

Comment

The battery is dead now, but thats because I've been fiddling with the bike for a long time, definitely not the problem.

Comment

here we go....

is the starter spining?

are you pulling the clutch in when you are hiting the started button?

battery?

anwser these and we can go to step two.

-ryan
        78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
        82 Kat 1000 Project
        05 CRF450x
        10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

is the starter spining?

No, not at all.

are you pulling the clutch in when you are hiting the started button?

Yes.

battery?

Nope.

Comment

Do you own a Multimeter?

Comment

Nope. I'll have access to one later this week though.

Comment

why is your battery dead if the starter doen't turn?

-ryan
                78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                82 Kat 1000 Project
                05 CRF450x
                10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Once you get you hands on one, I suggest doing a full electrical check-up.

Select the continuity function on the meter.
                  1. Test the clutch safety switch. The connections for this is in the headlight.
                  2. Test the starter button. Connections also found in the headlight.
                  3. Test the starter relay. Should be under the left side cover.

If 1-3 check out ok, then switch to DC Volts and check out the stator papers: http://www.thegsresources.com/gs_garage.htm

Note 1: If you can short out the terminals on your starter relay with a wrench and it starts (in Neutral, with a good battery), the problem is likely in 1-3. However, if you have ridden it and the battery does not recharge, you could also have a problem in the stator, reg., or rect.

Note 2: To check the stator, r/r unit, try jump starting your bike off a car. Your clutch will thank you later.

Comment

Headlight probably.

Comment

Originally posted by jhw84
                      Once you get you hands on one, I suggest doing a full electrical check-up.

Select the continuity function on the meter.
                      1. Test the clutch safety switch. The connections for this is in the headlight.
                      2. Test the starter button. Connections also found in the headlight.
                      3. Test the starter relay. Should be under the left side cover.

If 1-3 check out ok, then switch to DC Volts and check out the stator papers: http://www.thegsresources.com/gs_garage.htm

Note 1: If you can short out the terminals on your starter relay with a wrench and it starts (in Neutral, with a good battery), the problem is likely in 1-3. However, if you have ridden it and the battery does not recharge, you could also have a problem in the stator, reg., or rect.

Note 2: To check the stator, r/r unit, try jump starting your bike off a car. Your clutch will thank you later.

Great, thanks for the reply, I'll try it out Thursday.

Comment

Working...
                      X