Brake Caliper Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake Caliper Questions

I am working on putting my 1000 back together and what I came into tonight was I should dress up my brake calipers before I put them back on. I quickly realized these things are an alloy or aluminum. They are a bit scuffed and nicked but seem fully functional.

My question is this, should I repaint these things or just clean them good and touch them up? If and when I do either of those, what do I need to be aware of when working on these things? As you can see in the pic below I have taken the rear apart. Should I rebuild it while I am at it or is it cool to just skip that since it was not leaking?

Any and all info and tips are appreciated.

If its working fine, I see no reason to rebuild it. If it aint broke, dont fix it. :-) They are a lot easier to repaint off the bike. I just use a spray can and mask off the lines and bleeder valve.

Earl
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
      If its working fine, I see no reason to rebuild it. If it aint broke, dont fix it. :-) They are a lot easier to repaint off the bike. I just use a spray can and mask off the lines and bleeder valve.

Earl
      I would have to agree with earl. Paint them and put em on.
      Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
      2000 Kawasaki Concours
      Please wear ATGATT

Comment

That's what I was hoping you would say Earl I wanted to do that but wanted to hear from someone before doing it if it was a bad idea or not.

So how about cleaning it? Is there any trick to getting the greasy goo off them that wont damage any seals or anything or just go at it?

Comment

I just wipe them down with a rag and mineral spirits to get the grease off. The wipe down with a rag and alcohol to get the mineral spirits off so I can paint it. Neither will harm anything on the brake.

Earl

Originally posted by Hoomgar
          So how about cleaning it? Is there any trick to getting the greasy goo off them that wont damage any seals or anything or just go at it?

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

S100 engine brightener will make them look wet and shiny.................
            IBA# 24077
            '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
            '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
            '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Jammin

Thx guys. Gotta keep movin...

Comment

Just my 2 cents worth, but if I had them apart like this, I would get the piston and seals out and clean it up real well.

If that has never been done, you'll be surprised at the gunk that is behind that piston and behind the large o-ring seal.

Clean the piston and the caliper bore out with an SOS pad and hot water. I take a toothpick soaked in water and clean out the recess where the o-ring seal goes. That is of the utmost importance.

If the piston isn't pitted, it's probably OK to re-use.

Heck, I've seen several GS schematics on bikebandit where they sell the piston, seal, and dust seal as a set for around 20 bucks!!!

That beats the 55 bucks I had to pay for EACH of the caliper pistons ALONE on my CB650!!!

Anyhow, I would at least clean everything and replace the seals while your in there. You've got the thing apart and you'll only be spending around 15 bucks or so.

And it's a great feeling when you're cruising down the road with brakes you know for sure are going to perform perfectly and not stick.

Chad

Comment

I just rebuilt my front calpiers because they were sticking. The piston o-rings were about $2 apiece if I remember correctly. It's good piece of mind for cheap money.
                  Currently bikeless
                  '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                  '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Oh they are coming completely apart for cleaning guys. I always do that. You never take something off and then not clean it completely before putting it back on.

I looked for rebuild parts and all are available and afordable on BikeBandit if I need them.

Thx again for the input. I really appreciate it.

Comment

Just remember Mark, even if the seals look perfect, they might be swollen and could cause the brakes to drag. I can't stand dragging brakes.
                      Currently bikeless
                      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Just remember mark, when you get them put back together, they are SUPPOSED to drag slightly. :-) Dont think there is something wrong when they do. You should be able to easily turn the wheel with a couple fingers, but it should drag to a stop in a few revolutions.

Earl

Comment

One more question if you please....

When reinstalling the piston with a NEW seal....do you lube it with
                          something or just stick it in dry?

Bret

Comment

Just don't paint them yellow

I agree with Earl,again.
                            Wouldn't hurt to rebuild them since you've gone this far.
                            If you've got the $$$, go ahead and do it.
                            One less thing to worry about.
                            Especially with that motor you're building, good idea to make sure the brakes work well.
                            Keith
                            -------------------------------------------
                            1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                            2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

The Suzuki shop manual says to lube with it's special grease. I just use brake fluid to get it back in there.

earlfor Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:01 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just remember mark, when you get them put back together, they are SUPPOSED to drag slightly.
                              I didn't know this. I was all concerned when I completely rebuilt my front brake system and the wheel drags to a stop after about two or three revolutions. I guess it's perfect then. What's the reason this is correct? So they self center or something?
                              Currently bikeless

Comment

Working...
                              X