fun with an old tach cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fun with an old tach cable

the tach cable on my bike came pfu and looks like it has been rusting into the mount for about 29 years I have doused it in WD-40 numerous times and tried my hardest to loosen the stupid thing. no luck. any hints to get the mount off so i can put my new cable in? [img]C:/documents and settings/JL/my documents/my pictures/misc/IMGA0421[/img]

ok so the picture didn't work too well, I'm still trying to get the hang of the messageboard

Comment

You need to host it online, then copy the URL of the image.
      Your not gonna be able to host it from your computer.

try > http://www.photobucket.com

its free

Comment

If it's that bad, then your probably gonna have to replace the oil seal in the tach drive. Pull the valve cover, remove the one 8mm bolt that holds the tach drive to the valve cover and tap the drive gear out of the head from the inside of the cover. While the whole thing is out of the bike you should be able to break it free. You can still buy the whole tach drive from BikeBandit or your dealer, but at a minimum, I'd replace the oil seal.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Some photos of this process. I don't know what kind of bike you have, but maybe they'll be of some help:

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
          X