Slipping at High RPM/Speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slipping at High RPM/Speed

Hi! I have an '82 GS850L that starts and runs like a dream after I spent all springtime (and about $400) to straighten it out. It had been sitting in some clown's garage for a coupla years. It is stock except for 4 into 1 Jardine pipes. When I am cooking along pretty well in 4th or 5th and lay on the throttle to bring it to about 6000 RPM the bike acts like clutch is slipping - free rev of engine and when you let off, it catchs up and you have power to wheel again.
    Sounds like clutch, right? I am a heavy (290lb) guy and I CANNOT make this clutch slip in 1st or 2nd from dead stop. You've gotta hang on as bike really pulls hard w/ no slip. That's the only thing that makes me doubt my clutch diagnosis....
    Any suggestions? I appreciate some learned help!
    Signed,
    Greasy guy in the Ozarks

I had much the same problem with my bike, although not as bad. I found I had clutch slippage after high rpm shifts (8-9 thou). Replaced the stock clutch springs with Barnett units and no more slippage! 8)
    Kevin
    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

It's been mentioned before on forum but What type of oil are you using??
      Try changing it to MC specific oil and see if it still slips Lots of contrversey about what type of oil is best for are old GS's with wet clutches

Comment

Again ??

Wouldn't it be wiser to search the forum for 'slipping clutch' before adding yet another thread ??
        There are already too many threads covering the same issues.
        The answers are there, and if they're not, continue the original thread.
        It's not very satisfying reading/answering the same questions over and over again.

Comment

There is a wealth of info in the old posts. Just use the search engine and you'll be overwhelmed with stuff about these clutches. I had the same problem and through these web pages replaced my clutch plates and springs myself.

Comment

I had the same problem after replacing my sprockets and chain. Since I had the cover off on the side where the clutch adjustments are made, it affected the clutch adjujstment. While riding, I just reached up and adjusted the clutch using the cable adjustment by the clutch handle. The slipping stopped and I continued on my way.

Terry

Comment

My clutch started out the same way. Only in high gear roll-ons. Then it continued to get worse.

I would say it is almost time to invest in a new one.....

Comment

After I got my 1100G all tuned up and running good, the clutch showed signs of slipping in high revs.!! The mechanic said next time maybe think about investing in a rebuild also $300... But I have heard here in the forum that you can also start with replacing the springs and see if things improve. Maybe even replace every other spring... Then if no improvement, go for the rebuild.
                GY

Comment

Slipping

Thanks for all the useful help! I will search the strings (I am new to this forum) and see what's there!
                  I will try the spring swap first as that seems like a cheap and easy way to start.
                  Thanks you all for the help!
                  Dave

Comment

Originally posted by five string
                    There is a wealth of info in the old posts. Just use the search engine and you'll be overwhelmed with stuff about these clutches. I had the same problem and through these web pages replaced my clutch plates and springs myself.
                    I knew you were not posting you real photo all this time--Now you are being honest

Comment

You're right! looks like he's been watching too much Simpsons on TV

Comment

I'm just glad to see he woke up.

Comment

slipping clutch

Just my 2 cents...... I drag my bike a bit< when I first got the bike, same problem. I went with stock suzuki metals, barnett fibers, and medium ( green) springs. Did it last week to the tune of $225.00. Now the bike wants to flip over at the slightest movement of the clutch!! YYYEEEAAAHHH!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X