GS1000 Caliper & Master Cylinder Problem/Compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000 Caliper & Master Cylinder Problem/Compatibility

My front brake occasionally does not release. Opening the bleed valve and releasing about 1/8th teaspoon of fluid fixes the problem. I've installed new seals in the caliper & cleaned all the parts & lubed the shafts that the caliper slides on. I've cleaned the master cylinder & unplugged the small holes in the piston. Didn't help. I installed a master cylinder rebuild kit including a new master cylinder piston & it didn't help. I've taken apart the entire system & reinstalled it 3 or 4 times. I?ve removed & polished the caliper piston for any miniscule scratches that I could see. Didn?t help. Can't buy new calper pistons. The front brake handle seems firmer that any other bike I've driven. I've followed all the advice I've found here except replace the brake lines.

I'm giving up & trying to replace the brake parts from Ebay. I see a lot of parts for 750's thru 1150's. I have a 78 GS1000. The model with wire wheels and a single front brake caliper/rotor. Can anyone tell me if there are any other model calipers & master cylinders that would fit my bike. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Frank

The slow to return or not returning lever is usually the two small holes at the bottom of the reservoir being plugged up. Sometimes it's the piston/cup assembly.
    I don't know why yours isn't working right. It should be if you did all your repairs right.
    I've seen others adapt other models brake parts to your 1000. My '79 1000E is stock parts except for Russell SS lines and I had the rotors drilled.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I agree with Keith. The most probable cause is the return holes being clogged. If you do decide to go the replace master cylinder route, try to get a master cylinder that came from a bike with a single front disk also. Fluid displacement is increased per stroke on dual brake systems, so putting a master intended for a single brake onto a bike will dual brakes will usually result in reduced braking ability due to reduction in flow. A master intended for a dual brake system that is installed on a single brake system can result in a brake that is too touchy and locks up too easily.

Earl
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

You might also consider replacing the stock hoses ... they will internally disintegrate over time and can cause the symptoms your talking about. 8)

Comment

The master cylinders are pretty universal. Just make sure it is from a single disk system & has the mirror mount

Comment

I have a master cylinder from a 650L that I don't need. The l is a single disc and it is different from my dual disk G

20.00 including shipping to you
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

brake

do you have any free play in the brake lever? if not, then you have a lever that is not allowing the master piston to return all the way, keeping the relif port from uncovering and keeping the caliper engaged

Comment

Two Small Holes??? I think you've got it!!

Keith,
                Two small holes???? I only knew about one. I just went out to the garage to check the master cylinder reservior. The master is sitting disassembled (again) on the work bench. When I cleaned up the master cylinder the 1st-3rd times, the reservior seemed stuck to the base & I didn't want to break it so I made sure the large visible hole was clear & thought I was done. I didn't know about the small hole under the reservior. I muscled the reservior off of the base and sure enough, there's the plugged up hole. I've been screwing with this on and off for about 2 years. Looks like I'm home free.

Thanks to everyone for their help.
                Frank

Comment

Re: Two Small Holes??? I think you've got it!!

Originally posted by Frankjv
                  Keith,
                  Two small holes???? I only knew about one. I just went out to the garage to check the master cylinder reservior. The master is sitting disassembled (again) on the work bench. When I cleaned up the master cylinder the 1st-3rd times, the reservior seemed stuck to the base & I didn't want to break it so I made sure the large visible hole was clear & thought I was done. I didn't know about the small hole under the reservior. I muscled the reservior off of the base and sure enough, there's the plugged up hole. I've been screwing with this on and off for about 2 years. Looks like I'm home free.

Thanks to everyone for their help.
                  Frank
                  Glad to help. It should work right when you test it.
                  And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                  Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
                  X