engine flush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine flush

I am currently working on my 1979 GS750en which has been unused for quite some time. I need to change the oil & was wondering if a dose of engine flushing oil (Wynn's or similar) would be a good idea or will it create clutch or other problems?

Anybody in the Yorkshire area with a GS?

flush

I would pass on that type of flush, most of the crap is usally stuck in the bottom of the pan, so removing it would be of the most benfit, or just change the oil a bunch of times if you dont want to hassle with the pan

Comment

Re: flush

I agree, any gunk is going to be deposited on the oil pan which can be removed and cleaned off. My feeling is that "flush" would break up the gunk and circulate it through the engine. Not a good thing at all. Removing the pan, inspecting it and reinstalling it with a new gasket is a piece of cake and a lot less trouble than messing with flush compounds and then trying to get THEM flushed out.

Earl

Originally posted by Gee-s-is
      I would pass on that type of flush, most of the crap is usally stuck in the bottom of the pan, so removing it would be of the most benfit, or just change the oil a bunch of times if you dont want to hassle with the pan
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

A new gasket any place is also good maintainance on thes old bikes

Comment

engine flush wont necessarily cause the "gunk to be pushed through the engine, it has to go through the oil filter first.

removing the oil pan would be best, it would allow you to see for sure. and you will also be able to inspect the oil pump pick up screen.
          dextron auto transmission fluid is best for cleaning out a engine, it has a large amount of detergents in it and works real well and it is also a better lubricant than kerosene, which is what most engine flushes are.

problem is, dextron is pretty slick stuff, it would not be good for the clutch.

modern quality motor oils have detergents in them and would do a good enough job, the key would be getting the oil warmed up good so it can work, (run the bike at moderate engine speeds for 30-45 minutes then change (including filter) do the next oil change at around 500 miles, then after 1000 miles, then at the regular intervals after that.

what does the oil, that was in the bike, look like?

Comment

flush

Dextron wont hurt the clutch I have used it for 20 years in my british bikes, with no problems and with the thin viscosity the clutch is smooth and hooks up better than with multi grade oil, may be a problem if the disc where made in the 50's-60's and you need a trans fluid that has a friction additive

Comment

Working...
            X