Help!!! dead bike in Daytona!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help!!! dead bike in Daytona!

Guys I need any advice you can give me. I know it is a little off target since the bike in question is a gixxer but please!!!!

I had to borrow a 91 gixxer 750 because my 85 gs 700 needed some motor work well down here we have been riding in a lot of traffic and i have had two problems with the bike while here and it is killin my trip.

one is while in traffic, after lots of stop and go, and heat, the main breaker trips. let the bike cool off for a while (20 mins) and the breaker can be reset and i am on My way.
    the second problem is also seeming to happen in traffic when at idle at alight I will start to go and twist the throttle and the sucker just bogs and there is no power. If I can keep the revs up at about 4-5k I can keep the bike driving but if I let it drop below that it will stall. It won't idle for any lenght of time. with each twist from idle, it bogs then seems to break loose over 8K

the second problem is not heat related to the best of my knowledge, it happened only 2 blocks down the road from a 30 min break.

When all this crap isn't happening it runs great except for idleing high.

The bike has not been run propper in a year or so but was checked out by a dealership before the trip and given an ok.

Please any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

I'm by no means qualified here. Not sure about the newer bikes. But after being on the GSR for a while, I'd try a couple things.

1. Is there a prime position on the petcock? If so, turn it to prime and see if it helps.
    2. Can you loosen the gas cap and see if it helps?

Good luck. Hopefully the Pro's will be here in a jif.

Comment

Re: Help!!! dead bike in Daytona!

Originally posted by covelle
      one is while in traffic, after lots of stop and go, and heat, the main breaker trips. let the bike cool off for a while (20 mins) and the breaker can be reset and i am on My way.

the second problem is also seeming to happen in traffic when at idle at alight I will start to go and twist the throttle and the sucker just bogs and there is no power. If I can keep the revs up at about 4-5k I can keep the bike driving but if I let it drop below that it will stall. It won't idle for any lenght of time. with each twist from idle, it bogs then seems to break loose over 8K

the second problem is not heat related to the best of my knowledge, it happened only 2 blocks down the road from a 30 min break.

When all this crap isn't happening it runs great except for idleing high.

Please any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Is this bike water cooled? if so the fans may be tripping the breaker when they try to come on.

Sounds like fuel starvation. Clogged fuel filter?
      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

There is probably a temp gauge that might have a short, when the temp warning light tries to come on, it might blow the main fuse. But you may never see the light because the fuse trips. Just a guess.

Second, something seems up with the pilot circut in the carbs. Maybe a clogged air jet causing the pilot circuit to not suck gas into the float bowls? Because when you get on the main jet it bypasses the air jet altogethor. Another guess.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Was it jetted after your buddy put that new exhaust on it? 8)

Comment

If the carbs idle adjuster screw is adjusted right, the high idle problem is most likely an intake leak. Any cracking of the rubber manifolds? Are the clamps tight?
            The tripping breaker is either weak itself, or is detecting too much heat or amps. Any signs of connections or wiring getting hot?
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
            X