Stator cross compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator cross compatibility

Hey folks. GS Resources and The Stator Papers have been an awesome resource for me. My brother is kicking me down an 83 GS650GL with a burned out stator. After much reading and the like, I ordered a new G01 stator and RR9 rectifier from ElectrexUSA...

Unfortunately their UK supplier hasn't been shipping them any G01 stators for, like, two months :P But, given that (if I'm reading the Papers right) the problem with GS charging is the RR and not the stator itself, I should be okay with an OEM/used-but-working stator and the new RR9 rectifier, right?

Assuming that's true (yes, a big assumption), how cross-compatible are stators from various GS series bikes? Electrex indicates the same stator for GS400-GS850 and the like... but that's an aftermarket 3rd party part that probably has different tolerances, etc.

To put it another way: can I yank a non-melted stator from a GS parts bike and stick it on the GS650GL with a reasonable chance of success?

Eagerly awaiting your insights and hoping he hasn't violated some cardinal forum rule,

-Formica

welcome

Generally the models from about '80 onwards are the same, they are 12 pole stators ( earlier ones are 10) and they can be checked with a voltmeter, I think 8 ohms from each wire to any other wire is what they read.

The electrix models are excellent, I plan to upgrade mine in the summer as well (I have a 81 650G) or maybe sooner if it goes.

Check the wires for the stator using the Stator Papers

Replace the stator only if it is really bad, these bikes use a wet stator and you will have to drain the oil and replace the gasket to replace it.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

That is exactly the answer I was looking for. Thank you!

Comment

Electrex

Electrex has their own website and you can order direct from them.

Friendly and helpful customer support that goes above and beyond. We help you get the perfect domain name.

Haven't heard anything but good stuff about their parts. I would guess that they have done their homework and if they say that one of their parts fits different bikes, it probably does. Some say that if you use a Suzuki stator you will end up replacing it down the road anyway. So you can replace it once with a superior aftermarket part or go the cheap route and and end up possibly having to redo the job sooner or later. How much is your time worth? Lots of good info in the stator papers. Apparently the Electrex RR eliminates a bad design decision by Suzuki to not regulate & heat sink the 3rd phase of the alternator causing overheating of the stator, so maybe going with a used OEM stator and the Electrex RR (approx. $110) would be reasonable and reliable.

Comment

I think the main problem with the charging system is the RR. A bad stator will put out less voltage and current, not more. Less voltage will not harm or "blow" the RR.

A bad Rr on the other had will short a stator out. THis will result in overheating and death. Electrix is making an excellent stator that will perform admirably with their RR, but the RR is the culprit; it does the work of regulating the three phase output.

Test the resistance of the stator and if all three legs are exactly the same, around a few ohms between them, get a electrix RR and leave it at that.
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Check the cross reference http://www.electrexusa.com/electrex_...rs_Suzuki.html
            Have you gone thru the stator pages and checked your stator ??

Comment

Be sure and check the dimensions of the stator if changing model numbers(ie. bolt pattern, OS diameter, IS diameter and thickness). Depending on the model it may not physically fit.

Comment

There are physical size differences between stators, Thats why different ones are made for various models. The stator has to precisely fit the engine case and inside the magnet.

Comment

I started reading the Papers shortly after my brother described the problem to me. He mentioned that the stators on GS bikes tend to melt down after a while, etc... not really being sure about this, I ended up here at GS Resources, spent some hours reading the Papers, and then turned around and schooled him on Suzuki charging systems :-)

I ordered a new stator and RR from ElectrexUSA in January, but two months later they still don't have the stators available. So, I've decided to go with just the regulator for now, and based on the help you've all given me I'll stick with the existing stator if, after testing it as the Papers describe, it's giving me the right voltage at the right RPMs.

I figure that, regardless of what happens with the stator, replacing the RR with the Electrex model is a good first step to eliminate at least one electrical problem in the future :-)

Thanks again for all the input!

Comment

Working...
                  X