Rusty coloured fuel in my carb! GS1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rusty coloured fuel in my carb! GS1000

I'm attempting an old bike revival/restoration (of sorts), but among a few problems the old rust demon inside the fuel tank seems to be homesteading , both before and after i have had the tank "hot dipped" at my local radiator shop

Considering the pingle fuelvalve and new needle/seats as I am done with the vacuum assist once and for all, flooding those wornout carbs....

Is there such a thing as an aluminium tank to fit a stock frame? or any good places where one can get one fabricated?

what about carb replacement? 36's, flat slides? lectrons? or even turbo or supercharging? just throwing some ideas around...

also a dyna "s" ignition? 530 chain/sprocket conversion?

pls advise

Had similar problems with my 1100E. As far as the rust goes, you need to have the tank epoxied on the inside. A product like Kreem works really well. That way there's no metal exposed to the air or gasoline.
    For the petcock, I actually bought a new one for around $65 rather than rebuild the old one, which never seems to work according what I've read on this website. I like the safety that a vacuum petcock offers.
    I have a DynaS ignition with Dyna coils. Love 'em, if you have original stuff you need 'em.
    Did the 530 conversion. Most large supply houses will be able to put together the components you need over the phone. Contrary to what I've read on this website I found that there wasn't a substantial difference in price or selection between 630 and 530 setups. I did the 530 to lighten the driveline.
    Carb wise I have a set of BS34's (original equipment on 1100's). I'm running individual K&N filters with a Vance&Hines old school megaphone header, as well as a Dynojet Stage III jet kit. The bike is very strong and carburets great. I did buy a set of GSXR 36mm carbs to tinker with but they're not necessary. GS series carbs are always available on eBay or GS Resources. Flatslides an Lectrons get expensive. What you get size-wise depends on what you do to your engine. My engine is stock except for the bolt-ons I mentioned and is a very solid package.
    When it comes to turbos and such, I have no experience. I will say this, before you start upping the power you need to rebuild the front end, replace swingarm bushings, and install good shocks.
    If you do to your bike what I did to mine, you'll at least have a solid foundation for further mods and get a nice running ride in the process.

Comment

Oh yeah, get a fuel filter!

Comment

You can coat the inside of the tank or buy a NOS tank on ebay for a lot less money than you can have an aluminum tank made. If the rust is really bad, I would shop ebay for a tank replacement. As far as saving weight by doing a 530 conversion. The conversion will save about 1 1/2 pounds over a 630 set up. That is not very cost effective considering your saving 1 1/2 pounds on aproximately a 750-800 lb gross weight machine. Unless you are planning to build the bike for performance, the stock carbs are fine. If youre planning on building a performance package, the carbs will be the least expensive part of the process anyway. Either way, it is best to get the basic bike that you have in good condition and running well before doing any modifications.
        without a good running basis to start from, oftentimes, "improvements" result in doggy performance, rough running, and poor handling.
        Its difficult to improve something if one doesnt know what it should be to start with.

Learn to fix what you have first.

Earl
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

thx for the heads up!

thx for the information guys,

prudence telling me to go easy with mods at least for the time being.

hopefully able to clean and synch the carbs soon and take the old girl out for a bit of a road test...hopefully the weather keeps up...

thx again

Comment

Have to disagree with the filter suggestion. Those little inline filters are pure evil- EVIL I SAY!
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Have to agree with you Jethro. Most of those inline filter clog easily and most will not flow enough fuel for full throttle operation for more than a short burst

Earl

Originally posted by Jethro
              Have to disagree with the filter suggestion. Those little inline filters are pure evil- EVIL I SAY!

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

i have never had a problem with my filter, but it's one of those clear ones with some sort of brass mesh thing that seems to stop any big chunks, i would never use a paper filter they won't flow at all

-ryan
                78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                82 Kat 1000 Project
                05 CRF450x
                10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

That's what I'm using. You can't run a paper element wtih a gravity fed fuel delivery system (no fuel pump). Sorry, should have been more specific. As far as the 530 issue goes, weight savings is not that great until you go to spin it up from a dead start. Then the smaller diameter and lower weight sprocket /chain combo will give a slight advantage in acceleration.
                  The way to maximize these bkes' engine performance is to match your parts carefully and utilize newer technology where you can. Even in the late 70's and early 80's, Japanese bikes came out of the factory pretty well close to max performance, at least for their day. It's not like a Chevy 350 that you drop in a cam and gain 50 hp.
                  Again, make sure your chassis is up to the task before you hop up the engine.

Comment

In my opinion, if you need any more filters than you already have, you have other problems to deal with. Rusty tanks need to be taken care of. Loose gas caps are also bad news. The engineers didn't see a need for an inline filter. Just my .02.
                    Currently bikeless
                    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

The engineers also didn't think you were going to be using their stuff almost 30 years later after it had been sitting around collecting moisture in a partially filled gas tank. Kreem the tank, put a screen-type inline filter in the highly unlikely event that pieces of epoxy that might flake off.

Comment

dirt from the tank can get in the carbs, dirt from the gas hose there are to many place were dirt can come from and if you get the right filter then you don't need to worry, and it sure beats cleaning carbs.

-ryan
                        78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                        82 Kat 1000 Project
                        05 CRF450x
                        10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Well, if you would quit buying dirty gas, you wouldnt have those problems. :-) :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by first timer
                          dirt from the tank can get in the carbs, dirt from the gas hose there are to many place were dirt can come from and if you get the right filter then you don't need to worry, and it sure beats cleaning carbs.

-ryan

Comment

One inline filter is enough for me. Luckly Suzuki thought of it when they desinged the petcock.
                            Currently bikeless

Comment

Working...
                            X