Swingarm Bearing Repalcement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swingarm Bearing Repalcement

Has anyone replaced thier swingarm bearings? I have an 81 GS 1100EX and had it at a friends garage to do some work on it. He is an auto mechanic by trade and races on the weekends. He does all his own work and really knows what he is doing. He did all the work I needed for cheap money. My swingarm bearings need attention and he said I need a special tool from Suzuki to remove them. Has anyone done this yourself? I really don't want to bring it into a shop and have them gouge me on parts and labor. Does anyone own the puller? Thanks in advance.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

swingarm bearings

Yes you can do it yourself,but you have to be careful!!To remove the outer race from the swing arm you will need a piece of round bar about 1/2 or 3/4 in diameter to put through the swingarm from the opposite side and tap them out. This is done with the swingarm in a vice (careful) They can be stubborn to get started but they will come out . Tap them out evenly from side to side. If you cock them at to much of an angle you can distort the hole in the swing arm . A tip , as the end of the bar mushrooms cut it off square again so it gets a better bite on the bearing. To put the new ones in use a socket or something similar on the needle bearing to for the hammer to tap on so as not to damage the bearing or even better in an arbour press

This is not an easy job but it can be done with a little patience and a watchful eye

Comment

You might also get out the propane torch and apply some heat to the swingarm around the bearing. The aluminum will expand faster than the steel bearing making it easier to drive out.
      Axel

Comment

Grind the outside of the old bearing down so that it slips into swingarm. then use the old bearing to drive the new one in

Comment

Originally posted by axel
          You might also get out the propane torch and apply some heat to the swingarm around the bearing. The aluminum will expand faster than the steel bearing making it easier to drive out.
          Axel
          Be extra careful heating aluminum. Even small propane torches can get it hot enough to melt aluminum. No, I'll not tell the story of a distorted, ruined carb trying to free up a stuck air jet on my old RD350 racebike by applying heat with a propane torch.

Comment

Working...
          X