Valve cover re-install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve cover re-install

The shop manual makes note of oil seals (fiber washers, basically) for some of the valve cover bolts. Are they really neccesary? They weren't there before, but I have a problem with doing anything different than the shop manual says. And it seems that only some bolts are supposed to have them, any rhyme or reason as to which ones?
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

All the valve cover bolts on my 1150 have rubber washers to help seal in the oil. I would guess that you could use a bit of rtv if you don't have the real thing.

Comment

Re: Valve cover re-install

You can go to Home Depot or Lowes. In their specialty nut and bolts dept, you will find oil seal washers in various sizes. They are thin metal washers with a rubber washer laminated to one side. They work just fine for as an oil seal on the valve cover bolts. Ask me how I now that. :-) :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Jethro
      The shop manual makes note of oil seals (fiber washers, basically) for some of the valve cover bolts. Are they really neccesary? They weren't there before, but I have a problem with doing anything different than the shop manual says. And it seems that only some bolts are supposed to have them, any rhyme or reason as to which ones?
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Nice. I'll go to the Depot after work and have my valve cover on before dinner. Now to decide weather or not to RTV the gasket...
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

dooooooooooooont do it man!!! keep that *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$e off of it!

on another not, i didnt know about those washers.... no problems yet though...

Comment

Silicone is a disaster and not needed. The only time I used it on a valve cover was when I had to patch together a used one I had thrown away after finding out the dealer gave me the wrong replacement.

When I bought Allen Key bolts for my bike I didn't bother with the washers which are supposed to be on the 4 outer most screws. I did buy the same washers as Earl mentioned as a precaution but they were never necessary.

Steve

Comment

Working...
            X