my troubles are finally over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my troubles are finally over

A WHILE BACK SOME OF YOU MOTO-GOOROOS OFFERED SOME VERY HELPFUL INFORMATION CONCERNING MY 1978 SUZUKI GS 750 AND THE PROBLEM OF IT NOT WANTING TO START COLD. I HAD TO PULL THE BIKE BEHIND A VEHICLE IN GEAR IN ORDER TO START IT. ONCE STARTED THE BIKE WOULD RUN FLAWLESSLY AND AS LONG AS THE ENGINE WAS UP TO RUNNING TEMP IT WOULD IT HAD NO PROBLEM STARTING. I FINALLY BROKE DOWN LAST WEEK WHEN THE WEATHER STARTED WARMING UP AND I BEGAN TO SEE EVERYONE ENJOYING THEIR BIKES AND TOOK IT TO THE BEST MOTO MECHANIC IN TOWN. AFTER DOING A COMPRESSION CHECK BOTH WET AND DRY HE FOUND I HAD BARELY ANY COMPRESSION (10 PSI). SO 10 PSI DRY AND NOT MUCH CHANGE WET MEANT THE PROBLEM WAS IN THE VALVE TRAIN. HE SIMPLY RESHIMMED THE VALVES AND FOUND THE SWEET SPOT IN ALL CYLINDERS AND BROUGHT THE COMPRESSION BACK UP TO AROUND 110 PSI. A HUNDRED AND FORTY BUCKS LATER I HAVE A PERFECT RUNNING BIKE AGAIN. APPARENTLY THE VALVES HAD BECOME REDICOUSLY TIGHT AND WERE NOT ABLE TO CLOSE COMPLETELY. MY ONLY QUESTION WITH THIS FIX IS WHAT KINDS OF PROBLEMS AM I GOING TO RUN INTO IN THE FUTURE. IF AND HOW THE VALVES WENT TIGHT IN THE FIRST PLACE THEN WHAT IS GOING TO STOP THEM FROM BECOMING TIGHT IN THE FUTURE. IS THIS GOING TO BE A RECURRING PROBLEM? I JUST DONT KNWO. I THOUGT I WOULD ASK ALL OF YOU WITH MORE TECHNICAL KNOW HOW THAN ME.

I WOULD ALSO LIKE ANY INFORMATION CONCERNING A COMPLETE REBUILD ON THIS BIKE. ITS THE INLINE FOUR CYOINDER DOUL OVERHEAD CAM. THE BIKE REALLY JUST RUNS LIKE A SON OF A BITCH.
    IT WILL OUT RUN PRETTY MUCH ANYTHING BUILT TODAY UP TO ITS OWN 750 CCs. IT AMAZES ME EVERY TIME I GET ON THE DAMN THING.

ANY INFO OR FEEDBACK WOULD BE GREATLY APRECIATED IN THIS MATTER.

Valves should be checked and adjusted every 6000 miles or so. It happens. Learn to do it yourself (it's easy, just did mine last night) and you'll save some dough.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I'm picking up my feeler gauge tommorow.....cant wait!

its been about...14000km for me..... i went a bit over, but thats b/c of my roadtrip, so... :roll:

Comment

valves

Run the bike for a while then recheck the compression, 110 is do able but 125 to 135 would be better, the valves may need to reseat them selves and may go tight again if they built up some carbon on the seat faces, run it about 500 miles then check the compression, if its the same or better, I would run it 3000 miles then check the valves, if the compression remains stable, go 5000 then pull the cover and check them, any damage that has occured to the valves, would be checked with another wet check

Comment

I would bet your valves have never been adjusted before

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
            I would bet your valves have never been adjusted before
            Maybe they were adjusted improperly by someone else? There might be carbon build up on the valve stem right where they meet the head. Run it a bit, take it easy on it for a while, and the carbon might get kicked off.

The manual does call vor a 6000 mile interval. I plan to do mine real soon, I hope I don't need any shims.

BTW, I need an adapter for the small spark plug holes on my 650G to use my compression tester. Where can I get an adapter that takes a 14 mm plug hole up to an 18mm ( like the 850s have)
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
            X