Electrical help needed... BAD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical help needed... BAD!

I got my carb stuff done and the bike seems to run fine. So, I moved to the charging system... The bike has a new battery and I charged it up and got out my copy of the stator papers and went to work. I checked all the connections and replaced a couple of plugs ends that were questionable from the rectifier and/or the wiring. According to my multi-tester the stator is good. I started the bike and put a volt meter on the battery and it showed slow disgharge at all RPMs except maybe it stays the same reved to 5k, but drop the RPM and voltage starts going down again. I checked the RR as noted in the Stator Papers, it appeared bad. I got out another used RR I had that was supposed to be good, the reading were identical to the 1st RR. I had yet another used RR and tested it. A 3rd set of identicle readings. I wonder if my multi-tester is kaput. I buy a new RR (no it's not an Electrex (this time)and test it just to see if it shows any different, it does not. I put it on any way and everytime I start the bike it blows the main fuse. I'm thinking this one is really bad, so I put the old one back on. The bike fires up and no fuse blowing, but I'm back to the slow discharge. Any ideas? I passed, my written test today and have my learners permit and am dying to start riding!

I would sugest you go back and start over. Disconnect the stator and test it & check for shorts. A shorted stator could cause the fuse to blow & it could also blow the reg. If the stator passes test then reg is most likley bad. I prefer to run all three legs of the stator direct to the reg. (I always ride with the lights on).
    I would then reinstall the new reg if the fuse blows you know it is NFG & then try one of the other one but they maybe bad also????

Comment

On your R/R, where do you have the red and black wires connected?

Earl
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

You said you had checked the connectors, but did you confirm that all ground connections are clean and solid? I would recommend an additional wire taken to the frame, as well as one to the R/R.

You might also verify that the new R/R is intended for your bike, as you may have a model meant for a different bike, and thus has different connection placements.

It is possible your meter is faulty, and reads one scale OK, but not another, but it appears you need to follow Lynn's advice, and start the checks again, especially seeing if the stator has any shorts. (Do this in private, so the neighbours won't talk about it :roll: )
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

had the same problem. and, in accordance with manual, i disconected the 3 wire from the stator and checked for voltage coming from it. i only had power coming from 2. so i replaced the stator. problem fixed.

Comment

Working...
          X