Which motor oil to use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which motor oil to use

I've just read the article elsewhere on this website regarding motor oils, and not being that technical a person, I'm thoroughly confused. What do you folks use in your bikes? I've got a '79 GS850 that I use around town, but I also get out on the highway pulling a small trailer on long trips in summer heat. This summer it's from Iowa (home) to Virginia (National Boy scout Jamboree) in July.

OH NO! NOT THE OIL CONVERSATION!

I have been using Mobil 1 15-50, just becasue that's what the PO used.

Might switch back to good 'ol Castrol GTX 10-40 this summer.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Leon,
      I'd be needing that Popcorn eating Emoticon again please.

Comment

Ok, seriously.

Living in a hot climate, my 750 likes 15W 40 or 20W 50.
        When fall came around I thought I'd try Castrol GTX 10W 40. Old Suzy didn't like it. After about 800 miles on 2 different oil changes my clutch started slipping.
        I went back to Shell Rotella T 15W 40 and fine ever since. It's only ~$7 at Wally Mart for 4 or 5 Qt. jug.

I've also used the Wally Mart brand and had success with that as well. However, Rotella is only a couple bucks more.

Get ready, if this thread holds true to form, you will get overwhelmed with all different responses.

Actually, I will stir this pot a bit. :twisted: :twisted:

Synthetic or Dino?
        8)

Comment

You had to do that, didn't you?
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

8O :?

Ive been using 10-40 weight, but have been thinking to maybe 10w50, or 5w50, for the summer.

i've never had any problems with 1040 , but ive never been riding in gridlock like ill have to do now that I live in the Toronto area.

Comment

I always used Castrol 15-50, or sometimes 20-50, with no ill effects on my 1100's I have owned.Do not ride in the winters here too dern cold,so I do not know about the cooler riding temps.

Comment

These things have motor oil in them? 8O :?

I like Valvoline for a cheap oil. Castrol GTX for a mid grade and then there is a load of pro oils to use. Synth doesn't come in until the engine is well broken in.

Comment

Originally posted by DMPLATT
                  Leon,
                  ask and yea shall recieve!!
                  [img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SADrAm4WrkZ6r7Y8an4M!V9eNsiTU!WCrD5Sz5t9led5tDl3z Z9v6p*EVLyYOuQdxsMtoXSEf5RudBAWpFXHkTHKt9!xue2MZkB M0JMhImZCAAAAynJjAg/popcorn.gif[/img]

Comment

valvoline cheep??
                    it is the number one choice of top mechanics!

I am running valvoline synthetic blend in 20w50

but I managed to stumble onto a clearance sale of mobil one motorcycle formula synthetic, normaly 8 bucks a quart for only 2 bucks a quart, I loaded up!

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy
                      Originally posted by DMPLATT
                      Leon,
                      ask and yea shall recieve!!
                      [img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SADrAm4WrkZ6r7Y8an4M!V9eNsiTU!WCrD5Sz5t9led5tDl3z Z9v6p*EVLyYOuQdxsMtoXSEf5RudBAWpFXHkTHKt9!xue2MZkB M0JMhImZCAAAAynJjAg/popcorn.gif[/img]
                      Thank you kind sir.

8)

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy
                        valvoline cheep??
                        it is the number one choice of top mechanics!

I am running valvoline synthetic blend in 20w50

but I managed to stumble onto a clearance sale of mobil one motorcycle formula synthetic, normaly 8 bucks a quart for only 2 bucks a quart, I loaded up!
                        I only meant in price Leon. Around here it is lower cost than many. And it is one of my favorites. I use is almost exclusively in my cages.

Comment

Had silkolene 20w-50 in my 650 last year, shifted terrible until it warmed a bit. Switched to silkolene 10w-40 and it is much better. the 40w designation is actually quite good for almost all driving, 50w is just going to cost you more in gas mileage. Avoid 30w, these things rev too high for that stuff.
                          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I use 10W 40 Dino, then 10W 40 Synthetic, now I don't know,
                            So I use 1 qt Synthetic, 1 at Dino, 1 qt Tranny fluid, and 1 qt. of Marvels Mystery oil.

This seems to be ok. Blaahhhhhhh. sorry, I can't help it, it comes Natural. :P :P :P :P

Comment

My 450 didn't like Synthetic when I tried it, she started leaking from every daggone seal and gasket. Replaced most of em, and now run Pennzoil 10W-40 (what is actually reccomended for the bike) in the winter and 15w-40 or 20w-50 in the summer. Clutch likes the 20w-50, but some times it is just harder to find in the Pennzoil.

Comment

Working...
                              X