Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whaddaya think...

1980 GS750E

Ok, all was well when I put her away last fall...so...I roll her out of the garage after changing the oil and plugs and she reluctantly starts up but does, after she idels for about three minutes and the choke is off completely she dies. I start her again and rev to 3,000 RPM's holds steady for five seconds then dies as if the kill switch was activated. Each time can restart with the touch of the starter and the sequence happens again...dies, hit starter starts fine, etc.

Now, backing up a little bit. I purchased a battery tender last January and had the battery charging out of the bike, I decided to put the connector on the battery that lets you charge the battery while in the bike and all you have to do is dis-connect, stow and go. So, I thought that maybe it was that connection, I dis-connnect it and whammo she starts, idles and does great for a forty-five miunute ride.

Today, I back her out, start her up and shed dies when revved to 3,000 RPM's after holding on 3K for five seconds..hmmm.. I start her up (starts right away) and again after holding at 3K R's again she dies. I pull the seat, pull the airbox, look at the battery...hmmm.... oh well, don't know whats up, put the airbox back, put the seat back on, she starts, runs great through a variety of RPM's and I take her for a forty-five minute ride and all is fine.

That is when I came in and wrote this....any ideas??

Scud

Twilight Zone syndrome?
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I'd say you've got a loose connection somewhere near the battery? all that messing around gets it, but it loosens again later??

good luck!

Comment

Corrosion on the Seat relay bearing.
        When you took the seat off and put it back on - it cleaned it enough to get it running good again.

:twisted: :twisted:

Comment

Originally posted by snowbeard
          I'd say you've got a loose connection somewhere near the battery? all that messing around gets it, but it loosens again later??

good luck!
          Just busting balls. This sounds more apt to be the problem. 8)

Comment

Seat relay bearing, I definetely do a lot of skidding on my seat and more then likely enough to 'loosen a connection' every so often.

Thanks guys, I kinda figured that but needed to here it from you all.

On another note, as you sit on the bike and look down at the battery I have the battery posts on the left side, (fuseblock side) does it matter which side they are on???

Scud

Comment

Working...
            X