Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still another oil cooler question !

Well, I haven't seen this covered anywhere and I am stumped big time

Installed a Lockhart oil cooler with the thermostatic valve on the 1100G coming off a Lockhart adapter which retains the stock pressure switch.

Once the plumbing was done I fired her up and let it get up to temp.The thermostatic valve worked like charm and the cooler heated up like it should. All is good right ?

This is where the question comes in, when I rev it just a little bit say 2000/2500 rpms the oil pressure light AND sidestand light come on!

The sidestand light works as it should at idle but comes on when the oil pressure light comes on while reving the engine.
    Should I be using a different sending unit with the Lockhart adapter?
    And why on earth would the sidestand light be involved ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks,greg

Uh oh, do you have a 1150 oil filter cap?

You don't? then you don't have the restriction in front of the output that allows some but not all of your oil to flow to the cooler. This will really hurt the bearings I think.

Katman wrote extensively about this, PM him for advice.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I thought the 1150 cap was needed if tapping off the front of the engine.
      Is it needed is tapping off the sending unit?

The Lockhart adapter takes oil from the rear where the sending unit is and returns it to the rear return port.

The sending unit is only moved a inch or so from original location. Oil is going thru the cooler. The idiot lights is what has me confused and now worried about flow to the bottom end.......

greg

Comment

I think you need a restriction taking it from there. Your probably shunting all the pressure to the cooler. You don't need to run high pressure, cool oil will mix with the rest and do the job.
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

greg you have the 8v 1100 g and you have the correct oil adapter, you can only use a 1150 oil filter cover on 16v motors

the adapter you have did it come with a rubber gasket for the output tower? because without it the output tower creates a 1/16 gap between the oil adapter output tower. most of the oil is pushed thru the gap and not the cooler which would also circumvent the oil pressure swithc into not moving because the oil pressure is lost in the 1/16 gap.. you will need a washer the propflux has and that should create a nice tight seal. to let the opil build presure and operate the oil presure switch.

don't worry i don't thing you have starved the motor of oil when you ran it, most of the oil just when back to the oil return port instead of going to thru the cooler first then the oil return port.

-ryan
          78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
          82 Kat 1000 Project
          05 CRF450x
          10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

The 1150 cover is used in conjunction with the oil taps on either side of the filter. I'm not sure it applies with his setup.

In any case, the use of a thermostatic valve would negate the use of the 1150 cover. This is because the 1150 cover forces oil to the cooler. If, at the same time, you then restrict oil flow to the cooler with a valve, you are shutting down the flow of oil all together. The small orifices in the 1150 cover would then flow all of the oil - not good.

Comment

this thermostaic vavel is kinda like a radiaotr hose valve right, it warms up and it open a bybay to let oil go to the cooler right?

before installing the thermastatic valve i would test it in some hot water to make sure how it works and if it works, either the oil will be completlty block by the valve when it's cold and not let any oil flow (very bad) or it will let the cold oil bypass the cooler until the oil is hot then will switch valves and let oil flow into the cooler then back. but i would check these things before doing and motor running.

-ryan
              82 Kat 1000 Project
              05 CRF450x

Comment

Ahhhh, that now it makes a little sense

I suspect I don't have a good seal on the tower and when rpms pick up, oil is going directly to return ports. So that answers why the oil pressure light comes on, and I know what I need to do to correct it.

Now to find the right washer!

Any ideas why the goofy sidestand light would be acting up in conjunction with the oil pressure light?

Thanks for insight and quick response, I will let you know how it works out.
                greg

Comment

I was luck enough to pick up a NOS Lockhart cooler with the valve and hoses ( says made for Harley by Lockhart on everything )

The valve is clearly marked and works just as expected, so I didn't think my problems were coming from there. Good point though

thanks again, greg

Comment

Any ideas why the goofy sidestand light would be acting up in conjunction with the oil pressure light?
                    Yeah, I'm curious about this too. That really seems strange. Is this the first time you have ever seen the oil light before? Other than start up and shut down of course?
                    Currently bikeless
                    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Yes, both lights functioned properly before adding the oil cooler :?

I will pull the adapter tonight and get the correct washer in place and that should take care of the oil pressure light (and make the cooler work as designed).

With any dumb luck at all the sidestand light may work properly afterwards (wishful thinking?) :?

Comment

I put a Lockhart oil cooler and thermostatic valve on my GS1100G many years ago. The set-up is just as you describe with the new fitting for the oil lines and switch under the carbs. The kit came with a new, larger disc for the oil pressure switch (actually its not a pressure switch, but a flow switch). I think that if everything else is hooked up correctly, that may be your problem.

Comment

pull your countershaft cover off and check the wires the center stand wire and the oil switch wire should both live behind the cover, and one or both of them may have chafed and are now grounding out. maybe when you disconected the oil switch wire you just pushed something over the edge, so check those wires.

like i said before talk to propflux, he has been a real good guy and has some washers that work to fill the gap.

-ryan
                          82 Kat 1000 Project
                          05 CRF450x

Comment

Working...
                          X