Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Needles... how the heck do you get the snap ring out!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Needles... how the heck do you get the snap ring out!!!

I'm trying to adjust the needle on my 1982 gs850L, I love learning, ha, I've been having plenty of issues I've never had before working on other stuff... it's great, ha!! anywho how do you guys get the little snap rings out of the slides to get the needle out? I have 4 diffrent snap ring plyers, none of them are small/long enough to get in there to the ring. I also checked the local hardwere store and they didnt have anything small enough either.? thanks guys!-darren

I bought a cheap pair and ground down the sides on the bench grinder. Works great for the small snap rings, but the metal is thin by the pivot holes, so I use another pair for the heavy duty stuff.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I originally tried to grind down some needle nose pliers and then went to about 5 different places to find snap ring pliers that would fit. I could not find snap pliers that would fit andgot aggrivated and now own a fancy pair of Suzuki brand snap ring pliers.
      1982 GS1000S Katana
      1982 GS1100E

Comment

After cursing several sets of carbs, I found the perfect tool for the snap rings.

Go to your local Sears store and get a set of Craftsman Professional #45661 needle nose pliers.

You don't have to grind the tips, and they work way better than any snap ring pliers I have ever had.

Comment

The first time I did it all I had was a hemostat - kind of a cross between scissors and heavy-duty tweezers. I ground the ends to points and they worked very well. I've seen hemostats at flea markets for less than $10 each.

I've since gotten a set of reversible snap ring pliers from sears and they work fine but there are days when I prefer the hemostat.

Comment

snap ring

Hey its a japanese bike use chop sticks, 8O I did the same as jethro and ground down a cheap set from harbor freight

Comment

Go to www.mikesxs.com . Mike sells snapring pliers that will do the job. Use the correct tool!!!!!

Comment

wow thanks for all the replies, last night I ground down an old set of snap ring pliers and it worked perfectly. but how do you adjust the needle now? there is no clip positions that I'm used to on 4-wheeler carbs and such. I just thought I'd put a thicker washer under it...?thanks again-darren

Comment

if yo udon't have teh adjustable needles then you nee dto go to radio shack, they have some small washers that fit real nice on the needle and you the add several of these to raise the needle up if you want a richer midrange.

ryan
                  78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                  82 Kat 1000 Project
                  05 CRF450x
                  10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Hey, 850_GS - thanks for the link to MikesXS. It's just a few weeks too late - I searched all over for long tip snap ring pliers for the master cylinder clip. Finally after grinding down two sets, and doing some very careful filing of the tips on one, I got it, but what a pain. And Mike has them for only $9.00...

Comment

Darren -What kind of mods have you done that requires you to rejet??

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Jiggles
                        Darren -What kind of mods have you done that requires you to rejet??
                        I removed a air boot that goes from the just basically reroutes where the air is coming from (outside to airbox, not the boots from the airbox to the carbs.) Then I bought a Universal set of megaphone style muffers on ebay, which I also ended up modifying(removed inner baffles).. should still have sufficiant back pressure. oh yeah I totally redid the seat foam and made a whole new covor for it.... that should add adleast 10hp 8) . I'll get pics of her soon as it gets nice and warm out. Thanks guys!-darren

Comment

Well, this evening I put her all back together and shined her up and got a few pics... Here is a link...to the link. haha.

-darren

Comment

How do you get the rings back in?????8-[

Comment

Mr. Jiggles, we all know what hemostats are used for (hospital use only) but they do make a handy tool also. I bought a cheap set of long needle nose pliers from Harbor Freight and they work great. To get the clip back in put the snap ring plier ends into the holes of the snap ring and squeeze (make sure it doesn't go flying) and lower it into the diaphragm tube. Push in and squeeze and let go. Two washers equal one notch on raising your needle.
                              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                              X