Air Adjustable rear shocks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air Adjustable rear shocks!

Hmmm! Anyone have any comments on these things? The 850L I just picked up has them on the back. THere's an air valve stem mounted through the rear fender and you are suppose to add air to adjust the ride. How much is normal? What should I know? :?

they look like this http://www.denniskirk.com/powervendo...&PartNo=581824

except mine are nice and rusty
    GY

I can't answer your questions, but I have to say I think that is awesome having air shocks in the rear. Now, I would guess that myabe you could attempt some trial and error. Is there a maximum pressure setting on the shocks anywhere? If so, try 1/2 of that and work your way softer or lighter depending on how you feel the ride is. Good luck!

Comment

My wife says the ride feels good right now and there is 0 PSI 8O
      Either the air valve or line is pinched and there's no reading at the filler or the system has failed. I have riden the bike also and it feels normal to me too. Course I am use to riding on 20 year old shocks! Go figure!

Comment

Gerry,
        If they look like the picture and have a spring they may not need any air. But if you're bottoming out with a passenger or luggage try adding try adding air in 5psi increments and see how you like the ride. Be extra careful with those gas station pumps, you may instantly inflate it to about 100psi. and cause damage to the seals.
        Axel

Comment

I don't know about those particular shocks, but GS1000 came with air shocks standard (other than US and canada) for some models. My manual suggests 28 PSI, but your shocks may be different.

I run Fournales shocks, which have no spring and are fully air sprung. They cannot bottom out, are are still ok after a service 15 years ago. Worth the investment at the time I think!!!

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I'll see what 5 psi does to the ride and go from there. I also have to replace the rubber bushings in the ends of the shocks. Dry rotted... Thanks again
            GY

Comment

Working...
            X