Not really technical, but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not really technical, but...

Where can I get a seat for a GS1000L? I have the old pan (no foam or cover). I'm not sure if I can get new foam and cover or would it just be cheaper and easier to buy everything new?

If you have the pan most upholstry shops will make the foam and the cover. If you have the old one as a pattern that would be best, or at least a picture. They usually have different density foams to work with. I would talk to a bike shop to see if they know someone that does this. May not be cheap but I doubt new is an option.

Comment

Youd probably want 2 or 3 different firmness of foam. Stiffer for the bottom, and some softer "memory" foam on the top to feel nice.

other than that, you could probably take a sketch or pic of any seat you like and get it done locally. Try upholsterers ..

Comment

If I were in your position I would definitely look at having a new seat made. These reason for this is that I like long rides, and I like them to be comfortable. On a decent 1100L , I found a short distance was OK, but it would not suit me for an all-day ride. Carmen, its owner, felt the same.

If you have the seat built to suit you personally, it could make a great ride!
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

If you have to old pan, you can probably get a saddle cover from Sargent in Florida. It comes with the foam and cover and looks nice. Here's how mine came out:

Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
            If you have to old pan, you can probably get a saddle cover from Sargent in Florida. It comes with the foam and cover and looks nice. Here's how mine came out:

http://bwringer.com/gs/seatcover.html
            This is exactly what I was looking for. Looks like I can order the kit and either install it myself or have it professionally installed. Thanks a million!!

Comment

Jethro,

What did He do with that hold on strap? I need that. I basically did the same for my 1100E, but for free. I went to an upholstery shop, told the guy what I needed. He let me go through his pile of scraps, and I found enough stuff to to do a few seats. Since mine is totally seamless, I used the heat gun to form the naugahide to the shell. Intalled basically the same as in the how to link. I'll shoot a pic of it and provide a link. I have some deep blue, almost black that I grabbed by mistake if someone neads it. http://photobucket.com/albums/v643/s...=GS11ESeat.jpg

Cheap is Good, Free is Better,
              Stiksave

Comment

NOT REALLY TECHNICAL

HAD MY SEAT REDONE ABOUT A YEAR AGO
                CAME OUT NICE
                TOOK IT BACK TO THE SAME GUY TO INSTALL A GEL PAC IN IT FOR MORE COMFORT FOR LONG RIDES

BUT HE'S HERE IN FLORIDA

Comment

JC Whitney and Dennis Kirk both sell replacement seats that fit over the stock pan for reasonably cheap. The kit for a an 83 1100L is less than 60 bucks.

Comment

Sargent couldn't help me with my 83 GS850GD, but these folks will be making me a new seat cover soon:

You can even choose from several colors. I'm going with the textured black.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

stiksave Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:26 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jethro,

What did He do with that hold on strap?
                      The cover I got from Sargent doesn't have a hold on strap. I wouldn't let anyone actually hold on to that strap for thier life anyway, but you might use it for another purpose, maybe? Anyway, I like the more sporty look and my wife won't ride on the bike regardless. My girlfriend doesn't mind though, she justs holds on to me!
                      Currently bikeless
                      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Jethro,

I've been looking for one. Mine was shot when I redid my seat. I think the biggest reason for broken tabs on tailpieces, is that there isn't any place to hold on. A nervous passenger will grab on that thing and bye bye tabs, and maybe the passenger. Screw im, he messed up my tailpiece anyway. Unless someone has an alternative for an 83 gs1100e. I haven't found a bolt on remedy.

Thanks,
                        stiksave

Comment

Working...
                        X