Directional Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Directional Lights

My turn signals have stopped working. I am almost certain it is no the switch itself, but something else. When I engage the switch the signals only dimly and spuratically work and oly when I throttle past 8 grand. I have checked that the bike is charging (it is), could it be a rectifier problem? Is there any easy way to tell? Any advice as to where to start troubleshooting?
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Re: Directional Lights

Originally posted by Jethro
    My turn signals have stopped working. I am almost certain it is no the switch itself, but something else. When I engage the switch the signals only dimly and spuratically work and oly when I throttle past 8 grand. I have checked that the bike is charging (it is), could it be a rectifier problem? Is there any easy way to tell? Any advice as to where to start troubleshooting?
    its acting like a bad ground or a short of the hot wire to ground

Comment

Check the bulbs to see if one has come apart from the vibration. it may have shorted out

Comment

Ditto on check the bulbs. I had the same symptoms, right down to the 8 grand fix, and the problem was a broken directional filament draped over the running light filament. Then check all connections and grounds.

Comment

Don't neglect the turn signal flasher relay. The signals on my 750 stopped flashing, and it turned out the be the flasher relay.

Comment

Thanks all! I did get me a can of electrical cleaner, I checked the bulbs (all ok) and replaced the flasher. Now here is what I have- the signals now flash, but the rear are a lot dimmer than the front. Also, the left side flashes a little slower than the right. These are cheap signals that I bought a year ago and they still seem to be in great shape. I don't trust it to work fathfully, so any other advice you guys have will be gratefully recieved.
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I'd replace the bulbs with all the same brand and number. You may have some variety in resistance change one bulb to the other.

I'd also check the connectors from one end of the bike into the bucket. Light bulbs are resistors to some degree (you'd have a dead short if they weren't) and any additional resistance in the circuit will affect the current that flows through the bulb.

If it's clearly one end of the bike that's different, then I'd bet a connector in the middle of the bike or that feeds the rear signals.

Cheers,

Roger Moore

Comment

Working...
              X