Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Side Covers plastic tang broke gone any fix's/Rigs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Side Covers plastic tang broke gone any fix's/Rigs?

I think anyone who's owned an older bike has delt with the tabs that hold the side covers in place braking off. Has anyone ever come up with any repairs that dont involve duct tape and or a coat hanger?

Have you ever installed PVC shutters on your house? They come with plastic fastners that push through the shutter, then into the siding on the house. Spares can be bought at Home Depot. I cut the head off, measuerd the length I needed, then epoxied it onto my side cover. The length of the fastner is covered with ridges to hold the cover in place, or if you'd like to install shutters in place of the side covers, hehe.

Stiksave

Comment

Damn dude I wrote that at like 3:30 AM and you just replied you cant sleep either eh? I feel your pain..

Anyway, yeah dude sounds like a great idea I'll give er a shot.

I bought a plastic welder a while ago.. dude screw that thing all it does is *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ off the side cover and deform it a bit, just a tip incase anyone else gets the bright idea I had. The welder did do well for pvc tubing though.

Eyes.. burning.. must.. s l eeeeeeeiiiiiip (smashes face against Keyboard)

Comment

I drilled a hole right through where the front lower pin goes into the rubber mount. Then I epoxied a bolt through where the rubber mount was, then I used a thumb knob from the hardware store to mount it. Her is what the finished product looks like, I think it looks good:
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Justin,

5:50 am 7 days a week, time to get up. I thought about a plastic welder, but there are too many different plastic variations, plus the heat thing. Then your next thing will be to search for the best plastic to plastic epoxy. Have fun, it works.

stik
          :roll:

Comment

CA (cyanoacrylate) is a really good glue. I got it for my RC car's tires, so they don't rip off. Anyways, it's about $4 from a LHS (local hobby store). you won't find any other stuff that glues better, I've been using it on one of my tabs for a while, and it's holding up fine.

this is the kinda stuff I'm talking about:

Comment

Do you have to buy the activator with it?

stiksave

Comment

easier than that.

I drilled 2 holes either side of the now non existent tang and cable tied it..

simple and works and un noticeable.

Cheers

Ed

Comment

No activator is needed. The catalyst for cyanoacrilate is water. The humidity in the air activates it.

Earl

Originally posted by stiksave
                  Do you have to buy the activator with it?

stiksave
                  All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I drilled a small hole in the rear of the tank seam, and a small hole in the top of the side cover. I have a big bag of plastic zip ties. I simply use one and then clip off the excess. On the occasion I need to take the side cover off I simply clip the tie and remove the cover. It saves me the worry that it will fall off on a ride.

Ian

Comment

My side panel busted so it took some 2tons clear epoxy and fiberglass mesh and now it is stronger than new. Did the same to the other side panel to keep it from breaking.

Comment

I also used epoxy, but lucky enough to get to it before they broke.

Comment

Working...
                        X