Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TIRE Change: Front tire and tube changed but wont seat even

Greetings,
    First time post but have enjoyed this sight for some time.. alot of info in here. I ride an 79 GS 850 with loads of miles, i changed my front tire and tube, it now sports a Mich Macadam 50 E 100/90-19 , I believe it to be the correct replacement tire but i cannot get it to seat evenly ie. it has a big flat spot on it where the bead sits deeper in the rim--- not evenly on the rim...
    I do break it down and have tried several times to correct. I dont imagine its the tire but it could be..?
    Has anyone had a similar problem when changing their tires ?
    I want to get it balanced but it needs to be a round tire first.. no flat spots !
    Thanks

you got to lube it up good!!
    liquid dish washing soap thinned a bit with water works good and drys tacky making the bead stick to the rim good.
    back when I was mounting car tires for a living we used Myers tire soap.
    it was a pink liquid that was for mounting tires that had no scent to it, I discovered that it was actualy hand wash soap without the perfume in it.
    I used it to wash my hands after mounting the tires!

Comment

Hay thanks bra... i think you are right... i been changing out tubeless tires for some time but not this tube job... shoulda thought of that myself...... Thanks again..

Comment

You can get a tub of purpose-specific tire mounting lube from any motorcycle shop that caters to dirt bike or ATV enthusiasts.

The hand soap might be fine, but a lot of dish soaps are too corrosive and will eat up your rims. Nothing like using the right stuff for the job.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Use some un-scented , hand-lotion meant for children. the most gentle stuff there is!

Comment

K Y jelly!! every one keeps that around the house!

Comment

Sorry, but I don't think I want to waste my K.Y. on a motorcycle tire

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips
                Sorry, but I don't think I want to waste my K.Y. on a motorcycle tire
                L
                O
                L
                !
                !
                !

Comment

I had the same problem on a 80 750L. I used some silicone grease but probably not the best thing. It stays slippery, so even after it is seated on the rim, if you let the air out of it below 15 lbs. it pops right out of shape again. It won't corrode or hurt the rubber though. I believe I read somewhere on this site that the old rims were not sized to the same standard measurement that they are today and that's why the newer tires don't fit as well.

Comment

I had that same problem with my rear. I tried jumping on it and everything, and eventually it took alot of dish soap and putting about 65 psi in it. I think maybe if you tighten a ratchet strap around the circumfrence, that might work (where the rubber meets the road, around the whole thing).

Comment

Dish soap will work but I know for a fact that it will corode your rims. Ratchet straps are a big help for tubeless tires if you don't have a high CFM air compressor. I will be looking for proper tire sealant the next time around.

Steve

Comment

You guys are right, it really needs to be luibed up. same thing happened when i did the rear tire and i used plenty of wd 40 for the job.. after a few times of inflating / deflating and with just a small bit of air in it, bounced it hard all over the tire and then with big air did it finally seat !

Comment

Working...
                        X