cam shaft cover gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cam shaft cover gasket

is it possable to remove the cam shaft cover without damageing the gasket so i can reuse the gasket.
    thanks,

P.S you guys and ladies have been real helpful and I thank you.
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

That depends, Has gasket sealer been used? if so was it used on both sides of the gasket? Some sealers seal without sticking, others stick like glue. How long has this gasket been in place? the longer it's been on, the worse your chances are. I've had good luck using Permatex on the top, or cover side, and nothing on the bottom or head surface. This will let the gasket stick to,and come off with the cover, and will not be in the way of adjusting the valves. You may want to get one, then when you pull the cover see what the the old one looks like. If it looks good, give it a shot & put the new one in the bottom of your sock drawer, it will keep. If the old one brakes, tares, or just doesn't look right, you are prepared. Good luck

Comment

the gasket has been there probly 20 yrs and there is just a little oil sepage, so i would assume it isn't going to give up with out a fight
      82 Kat 1000 Project
      05 CRF450x

Comment

If you think its been there for 20 years its time for a new gasket. But somehow I can't imagine one of these bikes going for 20 years without a valve check/adjustment. Chances are that its a little newer than that.

Comment

i don't know it only has 1400 miles on it and it was stored for atleast 7yrs..
          82 Kat 1000 Project
          05 CRF450x

Comment

Buy the gasket.
            Axel

Comment

Buy the gasket.
              Or at least make sure one is handy first -- then attempt to remove the old one. It's such a big gasket, with so many turns around it, even if you could get a razor bade under some portions to seperate it, there's going to be some section you can't get to.

Good Luck!

Roger Moore

Comment

gaskets

I just picked one up from e-bay for less than 5 bucks,, and 2.00 to ship,, still beats the 20 the dealer get for one! and it's a vesrah witch I've had better luck with!!

Matt

Comment

I've reused mine many times. I just make sure I put a little silicone sealer on the gasket. I do mean a little, so little you can barely see it. If you gob it on, it goes into your motor and could plug an oil passage. That would not be cool.
                  Kevin
                  E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                  "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                  Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Working...
                  X