4-way flashers - need advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4-way flashers - need advise

I have a 1981 GS-750E that I am trying to get all four turn signals to flash at the same time like 4-way flashers on a car. The reason I am trying to do this is that I work as a motorcycle referee at bicycle races and I think that 4-way flashers would give me an added safety margin.

It looks like I should be able to use a double pole switch wired into the turn signal circuit. I am not sure the turn signal relay can handle all four bulbs at once. If not would an automotive relay work better or am I trying something that is not possible?

Thanks,
    Al Watters

Al,

I'm sure an automotive turn signal relay would work fine. Make sure you get an intermediate or heavy duty turn signal relay. They handle higher loads much better (heavy duty can flash the four ways and a full complement of trailer lights).
    16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
    13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
    78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
    Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
    02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
    12 Aprilia Shiver 750
    82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

Thanks jonr.
      The heavy duty automotive flasher did the trick and will handle all 4 lights at once. It does take a couple of seconds now before the turn signals activate so I think I'll experiment with different flasher units to see if I can improve on it.

Comment

Al,

I sounds like it's take a few milliseconds for the GS to pump up the heavy duty flasher with enough current to get it going. Given that fact, go with an intermediate-duty flasher and see if that brings down your response time.

Seems like you're heading in that direction already... good luck!!!

-Jon
        16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
        13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
        78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
        Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
        02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
        12 Aprilia Shiver 750
        82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

Working...
        X