Carb dip and black paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb dip and black paint

Do you guys who have the black painted engines ever worry about using Berrymans' or similar carb dip? If it ate the paint off my carbs, I'd freak out.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Re: Carb dip and black paint

It depends on what kind of paint is on the carbs. If it is multi part, catalyzed automotive type paint, a short dip will have no effect on it. If they have been painted with single part paint such as is in spray cans, you can kiss your paint good bye. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Jethro
    Do you guys who have the black painted engines ever worry about using Berrymans' or similar carb dip? If it ate the paint off my carbs, I'd freak out.
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Pretty sure it's whatever came stock from the land of the rising sun! So I'm guessing that Suzuki should have used a good catalyzed paint then...
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I did the carbs on my Kat and they were black at the beginning and the Berryman's ate the paint off in no time. They had original paint on them, that was pretty crappy anyway. I think they actually look better in aluminum.

Comment

I just repainted a set used regular black automotive engine paint. Yes berryman's will take the paint off. Repaint the individual carbs before reassembling the rack..
          I don't think the factory polished/finished the carbs as much knowing they were to be painted

Comment

Working...
          X