Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 550 L 520 - 525 - 530 chain?

Hi there:

I need to replace the chain of my bike but don't know if it use a 520, 525 or 530.

I have a 1980 GS 550 L.

I think they all used 630 back then, but I'm not 100%...
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

It's a 530 unless someone did some conversions on your bike, which is unlikely. Larger bikes used the 630, I believe.

If you have the stock front and rear sprockets, you might consider changing those as well. The stock have a 15 teeth front and a 51 teeth rear, which on my bike meant it had some difficulty maintaining the upper highway speeds. I switched to a 16/48 combination, and am much happier.

--Tyler

Comment

Thanks, but how will I know if the bike has the stock front and rear sprockets?

I really don't know if the previous owner have made some modification on it.

Comment

Do you have a service manual for it? That information will be in there if you do.

Comment

I don't have it.. that's because I'm asking...

Comment

You can count the teeth on each sprocket to see if they were changed from the stock of 15 (front) and 51 (rear). If you decide to go to a 16/48 or different combination, you will probably also need a different number of links on the chain you put on (110 for the 15/51 combo vs. 108 for the 16/48 combo, I think). In either case, you would still use the 530 chain.

As for 520 vs. 525 vs. 530: I know quite a few people have done conversions from a 630 chain to a 530 chain, which requires placing spacers and such on the sprockets (I've never done this myself). I assume that it would be similar for going from a 530 to a 520 or 525, but I can't vouch for that. Anyone else know?

Chances are that you need the 530 chain though.

--Tyler

Comment

The stock chain on the 1980 GS550L is a 530. If you are simply wondering what you have on your bike as is, take two measurements. On a 530 chain, the rivet-rivet or post-post distance is 5/8" (that's the 5 in the 530) and the narrowest inside width (usually the width of a roller, or the gap space between an inside link) is 3/8" (that's the 3 in the 530). I think the reason for the zero is because you need to be able to have a 525, for example, where the inside width would be 2.5/8", or 5/16". So get out Mister Ruler and see what he says. If your bike has, and has been running fine with, a current chain and it measures out as noted, then get yourself a 530 chain replacement.

BTW, I can definitely vouch for OneStaple's suggested change in sprocket ratios. I did the same and not only does she lope pace much better at freeway speeds, the torque in the mid-range RPMs is much better and can give you that extra zip you really want to have from about 4K to 7K.

Best regards...

...Ross

Comment

Working...
                X