Safe RPMS / Difference between ESD and ED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safe RPMS / Difference between ESD and ED

I own a 1983 GS750 and was wondering first, how to tell the difference between an ES(D) and the E(D) models, and/or is there a signifigant difference?

Second, I have always owned street bikes, and this will be my first "sport" style bike. Needless to say, I am adjusting to the different riding position and gearing, but was wondering about safe RPMS......

On my street bikes, you could cruise along at 65 mph doing about 3000 RPM and the barely hear the bike. Of course, their redline is around 6-8000.

I am needing to know, assuming that I have to ride the bike daily back and forth on a highway at 65-70 mph what is a good operating RPM for this speed? More specifically, should I keep it at 6-8000 in 4th or 4-6000 in 5th gear? I noticed that in 5th gear, at the lower RPM it was harder to maintain a constant speed then at the higher RPM in a lower gear. And not being familiar with the bike, this may be an engine issue.

Any info, tips would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Jay Hodges
    Pittsburg, KS

bike

Jay, You'll come to love your new bike as I and all the other '83 GS750E(S)D riders around here have. The way too tell if it's an E or an ES is tha tthe E version has no fairing while the ES has a 1/2 size fairing. This is the only difference between bikes. When on the highway I ride in 5th gear and if you need the extra power gear down. It's better on gas that way and I personally don't see the point in cruising around in higher rpm for no reason. It's a great bike to ride, very comfortable and hte handling is very nice. I coouldn't be happier riding mine. If you have any questions send them my way. I think there are about 5 or 6 of us on here who ride 750ES' and read the forum frequently. I'm no mechanical genius like a lot of the other guys here but I can help where needed.
    Cheers,
    Shaun

p.s. If you're interested I have the original 1983 GS750ESD review from the June 1983 issue of Bike magazine, I'd be happy to send it your way.

Comment

Shaun mentioned the major difference. The only other difference I know of is that the E has slightly higher handle bar risers. Mechanically they are the same. I ride my ES daily and cruisiing RPM's at ~70mph is ~5k. If your engine is performing as designed you can pull 5th gear from about 30mph to redline, but you should notice a real rush from ~6.5k rpm to redline. Of all the bikes I've owned to date my '83 GS750esd has been my favorite. Comfortable, stylish and quick enough most of the time.

Comment

I'm another 1983 GS750ES owner - had it 19 years, from new. The "E" vs. "ES" differences quoted above for 1983 are correct, except thet the 1983 "E" had a small handlebar-mounted 1/4 fairing and a different color scheme (sort of a dark maroon vs. the "ES" white). I have JPG's of Suzuki's 4-page 1983 sales brochure for these 750's if anybody would like them.

With regard to RPM's: I hardly ever let the engine go below 3,000 rpm's unless I'm just burbling along off the throttle. Most of the time, I run the motor between 3,000 and 6,000 rpm's. The bike takes off like a scalded cat above 7,000 rpm's, all the way to the red line at 10,000 (can be seen if your electronic tach works reliably above 5,000!! )

Simon

Comment

I got the bike out onto the highway today and really let it have it and after 5500, it really took off. It seems to run okay in the higher range better than under 5000. I was really just not wantng to abuse the engine, but I assume that they can handle running at 7-8000 for 10-15 minutes at a time with no problems. (At least that is the feeling I get)

Comment

Originally posted by thoox
            I got the bike out onto the highway today and really let it have it and after 5500, it really took off. It seems to run okay in the higher range better than under 5000. I was really just not wantng to abuse the engine, but I assume that they can handle running at 7-8000 for 10-15 minutes at a time with no problems. (At least that is the feeling I get)
            7-8k for 10-15 minutes??? 100mph+ 8O be careful out there, but then I have to run 85mph just to keep up with the flow of traffic on the freeways in the DFW, Texas area :roll:

Comment

I meant 4th gear, not 5th. I am a law abiding citizen after all. :twisted:

Jay

Comment

Originally posted by thoox
                I meant 4th gear, not 5th. I am a law abiding citizen after all. :twisted:

Jay
                :roll: It is a relief knowing you are keeping it down in the 90mph+ range. I wouldn't want you to give us fellow GS'ers a bad reputation. 8)

Comment

8O 8O

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat? How could ANYONE one this forum get a bad rep? Well.......with the exception of our cross dresser that is.

Comment

Working...
                  X