Spark plug gap for gs700es

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spark plug gap for gs700es

I need to know what my gap is supposed to be for my motorcycle. Today I got it started and I was doing some diagnostics on why it is so hard to start it and i found that the two outside cylinders were not getting a good spark. When i pulled the wires off to them it ran the same as if they were on. I am going to investigate the coil and the connections to that coil. I always had problems with the plastic clamp that hold the wire into the coil. It crumbled as I was taking it apart. Is there somewere to get piece? Can I make a decent replacement? Bikebandit.com lists it with the coil. I do not think I need the coil. I think its just a dirty connection. Thanks!

Plug gap .024 - .028

Comment

Thanks that helps alot

Comment

ok so i cleaned up the connections and i was able to get a nice blue spark from the plugs but it is still not starting for crap. I am just using a small bottle as a gas tank with no regulation for fuel....(just straight into the bowls) I really do not want to take the carbs off and i was hopeing someone could tell me something else to check before that.....anything please!! :x

Comment

Originally posted by Billy_Oliver880
          ok so i cleaned up the connections and i was able to get a nice blue spark from the plugs but it is still not starting for crap. I am just using a small bottle as a gas tank with no regulation for fuel....(just straight into the bowls) I really do not want to take the carbs off and i was hopeing someone could tell me something else to check before that.....anything please!! :x
          Once started does it run ok once warmed up? Mine also was very hard to start until I pulled and cleaned the carbs. Now it is much better. I have also jetted it.

Comment

Originally posted by dig dug mx6
            Once started does it run ok once warmed up? Mine also was very hard to start until I pulled and cleaned the carbs. Now it is much better. I have also jetted it.
            It does run good once warm....The dude who sold me the bike said he went over the carbs....ha good one. Of course we had it running for 15 mins last night and it would not warm up. Still only 20 degrees in this area. The bike just seems to love ether to get it to run. Otherwise you have to choke it...could it be that its not drawing fuel into the carbs well?

Comment

I almost right across the state from you

I don't even try to start mine when it's that cold. Last time i rode it this year was early dec and it 40. It took about 20 to 30 min till it warmed and ran right.

They are very cold blooded

Comment

Originally posted by dig dug mx6
                I almost right across the state from you

I don't even try to start mine when it's that cold. Last time i rode it this year was early dec and it 40. It took about 20 to 30 min till it warmed and ran right.

They are very cold blooded
                I have my carbs off and i took off one of the bowls and it had alot of gunk in the bottom....I am not sure if i want to tackle the carbs on my own. Does anyone know of someone in wisconsin that likes carberators or any volunteers? hahaha

Comment

Dig Dug thanks for the help....Im going to attempt to clean those mains out real good tommorrow and any other small holes that look like they are cleanable.

Comment

Dig Dug thanks for the help....Im going to attempt to clean those mains out real good tommorrow and any other small holes that look like they are cleanable.
                    If you want your bike to perform correctly, then IMO you have no alternative but to do a complete carb cleaning. The following is the definitive guide to the procedure. Trying to take shortcuts tend to lead to multiple carb removals, tear downs and general frustration. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by moto_dan
                      If you want your bike to perform correctly, then IMO you have no alternative but to do a complete carb cleaning. The following is the definitive guide to the procedure. Trying to take shortcuts tend to lead to multiple carb removals, tear downs and general frustration. Good luck!
                      http://www.thegsresources.com/gs_carbrebuild.htm
                      Thanks Dan. Im contemplating taking the carbes with me to school and working on them there. I want to make sure i do a good job of it. Thanks for your input.

Comment

Working...
                      X